Attention All Snorkel Haters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks,

I never knew you could just slip your snorkle under your mask strap. Ingenious!!!! I guess it can be done either on the right or left side. What do you think, Dee?

That's not a bad idea, but won't it stretch the hell out of your mask strap. Also try that with a hood and goves on. Here was another idea I came up with. Works great in warm water, but same as above impossible with gloves on.

snorkel.jpg

I just got a bunch of bungie and I have one more idea I may try. If that doesn't work I'll just cut off a big piece to go around my head and make (like mentioned earlier: BIG rubber band)

If I'm in 4-6' seas, my regulator is never coming out of my mouth unless I'm out of air. just my 2 cents.

pcscuba once bubbled...
If I'm in 4-6' seas, my regulator is never coming out of my mouth unless I'm out of air. just my 2 cents.

That would probably be a good time to convert to being a snorkel user.

pcscuba bubbled: If I'm in 4-6' seas, my regulator is never coming out of my mouth unless I'm out of air. just my 2 cents. :confused:

If you follow the theory of always surfacing with at least 500 psi, this won't be a problem. Besides, anyone who comes up with less than 500 psi buys lunch.
500 psi in an AL80 on the surface will last quite a while, even breathing hard.

4 or 6 foot seas is not what snorkels are for.
Keep your reg in your mouth till your back in the boat; That way, when you slip off the ladder into the rolling 4 footers you won't suck in a mouthfull of water through your snorkel.
If your on a boat, loose the snorkel. Beach dives are ok for snorkels, but the open ocean? just keep your reg in your mouth.

maybe I am missing something here, but when setting up your gear, don't you look and see what the conditions are like? If it is relatively calm, I don't use a snorkel, but if it is a bit rougher out, I will attach one.

I always wear my snorkel on my mask when diving.... regardless of the conditions... I was trained that way for one.... It never really bothers me having it there, I don't even notice it most of the time. I use it a lot while hanging out on the surface waiting for others to get in and ready to go down or while waiting for them to get up in to the boat after a dive.... I enjoy watching the fishies!

:blfish: :snorkel:

won't it stretch the hell out of your mask strap.

No. Neither neoprene nor silicone mask straps will take a set just because your head circumference has expanded another 2 cm. At least mine haven't.

Also try that with a hood and goves on.

Several times a week during the winter I do just that. I go snorkelling at lunch off a nearby dock using a drysuit and wet or dry gloves. Last thing on is the mask, then the snorkel slips up under the strap. The hood actually provides a bit of extra padding, otherwise during the summer a snorkel slipped under the mask strap directly against the head can get uncomfortable after half an hour.

On the very rare occasion I use a snorkle (long surface swim) I use the clip type. On the surface I'll remove it just before I drop down. If I need it for the swim back I'll put it back on when I get to the surface.

But if I'm in breaking seas I don't even think about a snorkle. The reg stays put unless I drain the tank.

I'm about ready to give up on keeping a snorkel attached to my mask. I seem to lose them with regularity while diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom