Attention travelers, assistance needed. Help me select a location!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all I have to say that I've never been to Bonaire or Curacao, so I cannot relate any info on them. My friend and I went to Grand Cayman in May and did our dive training there with Divetech and stayed at Cobalt Coast and were very happy with everything. We stayed on resort the whole week and did total of 9 dives (4 OW training and 5 pleasure dive incl guyided tour of the ex-USS Kittiwake). They have an all inclusive package and the food was A1 with daily specials. They have two shore dive sites with unlimited diving from either depending on the conditions. If one is blown out, they will van shuttle to the other. They also have two boats. I will definitely be returning there again as the staff were fabulous.

I believe the "unlimited" shore diving aspect limits your choices to a very few places. Maybe just Bonaire? There are numerous dive ops that can provide tanks 24 hours a day.

Many islands have shore diving available, but often will not provide tanks "after hours". So shore diving is limited to "shop hours only". Often makes it hard to get night dives in if the tanks get tucked away at 5pm.

Bonaire & Cocoview are the only ones I have been to that is "unlimited". No Cozumel experience, others could provide an answer for that.

I recommend Bonaire as it can provide wonderful easy entry ( just jump off the dock of divi, buddies, captn dons,...) lots of variation in dive sites and there is always the wild side for more advanced diving.

Our favourite is the divi since it allows us to walk into town for supper after our early night dive. We are biased against AI and just grab breakfast at the Divi.

I've dived in Bonaire every year for the last 11 years. If you follow the "windows down, don't take it in the truck if you dont want to lose it" rule you will have no problems at all. Every dive op on the island includes this as part of their orientation, but you still hear of people who left their camera in the truck "cos the battery went flat" and lo and behold it's gone when they come back! (what a surprise!)
Bonaire's motto of "Diving Freedom" sounds tailormade for your needs, easier stuff for the newbies, unrestricted diving for the more advanced I've been to all of the locations mentioned previously in this thread and Bonaire is the only one I make a point of going back to every year. Wherever you choose have a great time

It doesn't get any easier than stepping off the back of the boat at the dive site. Cayman Aggressor Belize Aggressor, Sun Dancer, Aquacat. Just sayin'.

It doesn't get any easier than stepping off the back of the boat at the dive site. Cayman Aggressor Belize Aggressor, Sun Dancer, Aquacat. Just sayin'.
Stop That!

Please, Please, PLEASE! Do NOT entice any more divers onto live aboards. They are starting to get full! REAL men do not dive live aboards. (repeat after me...) Live aboards are for VACATION DIVERS! Real divers STAY AWAY from live aboards! These are not the dive sites you are looking for...

And they suck at UNLIMITED diving! Ever heard of a live board 2 AM dive? Well Have yuh? Okay, we regularly get the Friday 6am Belize dive in...

Seems I missed the live aboard option when I was drumming up Bonaire - which is always my second choice, right after a live aboard. Strange how I missed that option?

In reality:
Live aboard == AI.
Live aboard != unlimited diving (max 5 a day, some limited to 1 hr per dive)
Live aboard == way too much diving. (for me)
Live aboard == dive your own profile (within sane limits!)

I would recommend any of the following live aboards that should also meet your requirements (in this order):
- T&C Explorer
- Belize Hughes
- T&C Saba

Live aboards are also a great place for a small group to enjoy. Everyone is a serious diver with lots of tall tails. Some even have useful knowledge to share. On my last trip I learned that there are very, very, very tiny shrimp that live on Solitary Gorgonian Hydroids.

I agree with others....either Bonaire, Grand Cayman or Cayman Brac! Liveaboard might be a bit much for the new divers? On the other hand, it might be a great way to see tons and gain a lot of experience!

You should really check which places are Ok with you conducting OW course dives. I had a TERRIBLE experience with BlueAngel in Cozumel regarding this some years ago. Some people go to crazy extents to "protect" what they think it's "their right" (as in Canadians trying to tell me it was illegal for me to teach in Mexico, when Im legally a passport carrying mexican ... some people just think they colonize everything they set their foots onto). Doing OW dives on any country does not really qualify as working, so you shouldn't have a problem. But I think you are right on track searching for a shore diving location. This way you can do stuff at the pace you want as an instructor, as well as not having to get flak from no one.

I agree with others....either Bonaire, Grand Cayman or Cayman Brac! Liveaboard might be a bit much for the new divers? On the other hand, it might be a great way to see tons and gain a lot of experience!

I think a Liveaboard is perfect for new divers. You put your gear together once, you are at the dive site without the hour long pounding ride to the site. It is a bigger boat so it rides better, you gain a ton of experience. Just pick the right boat, not the Truk Odyssey right after OW. Sites like Belize, Caymans and Bahamas usually have no issues with rough seas most of the year.

Thanks to all for all the replies. I think Bonaire will be my best option. Its nice to know you can always count on Scuba Board to get a wide variety of opinions and experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom