Aussie Diving February & March 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got wet finally yesterday. Temps still reasonable at 21.6 so the wetsuit can stay in the garage a bit longer:)

One of my favourite locals turned up. The new dive torch we picked up at Ozteck worked really well so I managed to get some decent shots with little to no backscatter. The Eastern Blue Devil is so secretive and shy it is always way back under the ledges out of camera range.... till now!:)
636C-289T-CjMedium_zps7c5cf9a1.jpg

This tiny moray was under "Seahorse rock" with the upsidedown pipefish. Again creatures that are very hard to get shots of because the space under the rock is not very high by very deep came within camera rage because of the new torch.
636C-242CjMedium_zps9417dfa0.jpg

Fish has been experimenting with systems to mount my GoPro so it is easy to use but out of the way. First dive with the latest prototype and it is very effective.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2013 at 07:39 PM ----------

Do you guys mind telling me who you normally dive with at Lembeh? We want to book pretty quickly for a trip in Aug.

Sheila, I assume the blue devil was at Bare Island? Where? I did not know there were upsidedown pipefish at Sea Horse Rock. There have been a couple of pygmy pipehorses there, but today we could not find them.

The EBD was at the usual spot part way along the rock wall just before the "cave". It is often where the cut runs back under the wall.
These two shots may give you an idea of the location as they show a bit more of the terrain.
636C-287Medium_zpscec29a5d.jpg

636C-292Medium_zps1c90e83d.jpg

There have been Upsidedown Pipefish under seahorse rock for a few years now. You can't always see them because they go so far back under the rock. The first shots I have of them are 29/03/2008.
331-260C (Small).jpg

The baby moray has been hanging out there for a while as well. Where at seahorse rock were the PPH?

Have you seen the pineapple fish at split rock on the Eastern side lately? I haven't seen it the last couple dives on that side. I have seen an EBD there as well lately.

Great eastern blue devil shots, I love the colours. It looks like your new torch worked well which one did you get?

When I go to Lembeh I stay at NAD Lembeh NAD-Lembeh Resort, the best value resort in Lembeh. Muck Diving Capital of Indonesia. Simon and Zee are great hosts and the dive guides there are excellent, also the price is reasonable.

---------- Post added April 1st, 2013 at 09:43 AM ----------

Here are the shots from last night, the water temperature has come down now to 19.

southern-keeled-octopus by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

snapping-shrimp-in-a-can by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

weedfish-closeup by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

velvet by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

unknown-2 by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

isopod by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

stargazer-and-sailfin by Byron.Fowles, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom