Aussie Study of Pre-Dive Meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would be interested in some MDs comments on the following study - anything new here or more inconclusive findings? Borrowed from http://www.scubaclicks.com/forum/showflat.php?Board=news&Number=1634

Pre-Dive Medications May Put Scuba Divers at Risk
11/27/02 03:05 PM

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - A survey of over 700 scuba divers in Australia and the United States has found that many put themselves at risk by taking medication just before a dive, although more research is needed to determine the exact level of risk they face.

The body processes medication differently in the high-pressure underwater environment, researchers from the Emergency Department of the Austin and Repatriation Medical Center and Royal Melbourne Hospital and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center note. And the way some drugs are metabolized, they explain, could interfere with a person's fitness to dive.

Dr. Simone Taylor and her colleagues conducted a postal survey of 346 Australia and 363 US dive club members. Most were between the ages of 31 and 50, and had been diving for at least 8 years.

Although authorities recommend avoiding medications prior to scuba diving due to the potential for altered effects on the body in the underwater environment, this survey found divers were taking a variety of prescription and over-the-counter medications daily, including within 2 hours of diving.

Reporting the study at a conference of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine, Taylor said one quarter of divers took medications daily.

Almost 10% in this survey took medication for cardiac disease or hypertension (8.9%) and 2.8% took asthma medication.

Taylor was also surprised to find that 0.3% took medication for epilepsy and 0.7% took drugs for diabetes.

Many divers regularly took nasal decongestants and pseudoephedrine such as Sudafed within 2 hours of diving, and medication to prevent seasickness and barotrauma-injury caused by shifts in pressure, such as "the bends"--was also common.

She said some differences were noted between Australian and US divers, probably reflecting differences in the ages and state of health of the groups and also differences in availability of drugs.

For example, pseudoephedrine is sold only in pharmacies in Australia but can be obtained in dive shops in the US.

I haven't read the complete original study, but the summary documents that a postal survey uncovered the fact that many divers took Sudafed and/or seasickness meds or other meds before a dive.
It doesn't sound like an enormous revelation to anyone who reads these columns that Sudafed use and seasickness medicine use is common.
It's also no great surprise that other prescription medications are taken by a smaller number of divers. The study alludes to increased danger and says we do not know how great those dangers are. I don't see any new information or alarms in this study.
The conclusion the author reached is that further study was needed. I agree.

The author of the summary for Reuters seems to have been trying very hard to make a preliminary postal study and make it sound like a huge and scary revelation.

If I can find the original article I may have to eat my words, but the summary sounds like news agency hype.

John

Sorry to take so long to respond, but it took awhile to track down the original article.

Dr. Reinertson's evaluation is correct. In the study, the authors state, "The purpose of this study was to guide future research into the effects of medications on scuba diving", and they conclude, "Further research is required to evaluate the impact of these medications on divers' fitness to dive."

So basically, divers are taking medicines before diving, and those medicines have not been thoroughly evaluated in a hyperbaric environment. No big news there, and no other conclusions can be drawn from the study.

HTH,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom