Australia Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just got back from a fabulous trip to PNG and Australia. I will post a detailed trip report later about PNG, but I have a question about Australia.

I went out on a 3 day/2 night with Pro Dive out of Cairns and was very dissappointed with the operation. Everyone was treated as if they had never been in the water before, there were depth restrictions (no deeper than 55 ft), time restrictions (although not really a problem), and there were two classes being conducted while we were on board (Open Water and an Advanced Open Water). The entire crew had chips on their shoulder, were quite unfriendly, and only paid attention to those that were taking classes. We were told that the restrictions put on our diving was Queensland Law, I have never heard of this before, does anyone know about this? I have tried to find it on the internet but have not had any luck. If this is the case, then why would any experienced diver ever want to dive the GBR?

Several dive briefings were completely wrong (boat positioned in a totally different location, current going the opposite of what we were told). Fortunately since I am an experienced diver this was not a problem, but the boat was filled with novices that this caused problems for. The last day of diving, it was obvious that the crew just wanted to get back to shore and our dives were cut short.

I read several reviews about Pro Dive before I booked and all were positive, maybe my trip was just an exception. If I had known that classes would be taking place I would never have booked with Pro Dive. I was very dissappointed in the entire operation.

However, I will have to say that if you are a novice diver and uncomfortable in the water then Pro Dive would be a good boat for you, however for experienced divers I would not recommend it.

I went out on Mike Balls ships in May 05 (Coral Sea, GBR). No such restrictions. They did ask you when you came on board how many dives you had done and assigned you a rating based on that. Beginner was less than 15 dives. Basically, they just kept a closer eye on the beginners. Also they did mandate safety sausages, but I always have one of those anyway. Great time, friendly people. I suspect you just got a grumpy crew. Probably just got notice their pay was getting cut by 25%.

There is some truth however to the silly Australian govt regulations. The government is very into keeping people safe whether they like it or not. I had some bad experiences with horseback riding and stupid australian laws when I was down there.

Anyway, next time try Mike Ball Diving.

Dave Bush
Titusville, FL

sorry about your trip - as an aussie most of the divers ive come into contact with over the last 7 years avoid pro dive but they have a healthy backpackers market. worse thing you can do is show up flashing a DM or Instructor card and they dump you with the newbies so not only do you pay for your trip, you end up guiding also.

dbush is correct - dive charters have rigourous rules especially for diving in queensland. next time you come down here dive with a Mike Ball or a smaller outfit - you will find the service more for the individual.

for some light bedtime reading you can give this a try - i got bored very quickly. http://www.dir.qld.gov.au/workplace/law/codes/divingcompressed/recdiving/measures/supervision/

I took a daytrip out of Cairns in 2003. It wasn't with Pro Dive (I forget what they were called), but they had the same rules. They even made you carry one of their computers and they would check it after the dive. If you violated their depth/time rules, they wouldn't let you do the second dive. In Sydney, they seemed to be pretty strict too, but in Perth they didn't seem to care and let you dive the way you wanted.

Just got back from GBR dove Mike Ball late October - only restriction announced was not to go deeper then 10 feet below your previous max depth. Dive brief was wrong one night dive (boat was turned around) got wrist slapped for reverse profile and depth of 34M but was just a caution - do you know what you are doing kind of thing.

Was told that we were not to go below 30M after we came back up from 34M. I didn't ask why but got the impression was boat policy not Queensland law.

Had a great time, broad range of divers, they kept watch on the less experienced let us go where we wanted once the Instructors had a look at everyone. Everyone on the boat made it their prime job to make sure we had a great trip.

Came back wanting to go again immediately - too bad about your experience. Would not write off the GBR - there are other operators.

When I dove the Yongala in May, 2005, we were told that Queensland law required us to be on the surface when we had 50 bar (750 psi?) air remaining. I thought that was pretty stupid, but overall was thrilled with the diving and the operator (Yongaladive).

for those that arent aware, queensland has the toughest laws for recreational diving boat charters.

these were brought in about 8 years ago when the Longerans were either left out to sea (think movie open water) or they staged their own death... either way, the boat charter didnt realize they had the couple's bags on their boat until a day or so later and went looking for them before they went "opps, they're still out there".

as a result, by law, boat charter rules are tougher - depending on who you diving with because ive dived with some qld companies that just said to hubby and I "just be back in 40mins". im guessing part of the babysitting culture is because they deal with alot of backpackers that are either not strong swimmers or long time divers or people where english is a second language so something can get missed in the briefs. the 30mtr rule is because recreational diving is limited to 30mtrs.

as far as diving in sydney-same thing, depends who with. go to manly or bondi (some good shops there), they have a high tourist market so they might get babysat a bit more than some of the others.

Valwood1:
When I dove the Yongala in May, 2005, we were told that Queensland law required us to be on the surface when we had 50 bar (750 psi?) air remaining. I thought that was pretty stupid, but overall was thrilled with the diving and the operator (Yongaladive).

I dove with Haba out of Port Douglas in August, and this was part of the first briefing, I didn't say anything at the time but asked a second guide about it later because I thought it was crazy and he denied it was the law - I got the feeling he didn't klnow it was part of the general briefing we had had, he said it was boat policy. Either way I ignored it and made sure I was back with 500 PSI 35 bar. No one ever checked.

I can quite believe the regs in Queensland are tough but I don't believe this is one of them. I had just come off the Mike Ball boat down in Townsville where it was never mentioned.

Alison

it was part of the general briefing we had had, he said it was boat policy. Either way I ignored it

And THIS is why QLD has such over the top regulations and why so many operators around Australia and other parts of the world have to be so strict in many instances.

If it's in the brief, dive it. If you have a problem with it or would like to do something different, discuss it with your crew and see if there are exceptions and so that both you and your crew know what's going on.

Just because we pay our money does NOT give us the right to do whatever we want to on a charter.

alcina:
And THIS is why QLD has such over the top regulations and why so many operators around Australia and other parts of the world have to be so strict in many instances.

If it's in the brief, dive it. If you have a problem with it or would like to do something different, discuss it with your crew and see if there are exceptions and so that both you and your crew know what's going on.

Just because we pay our money does NOT give us the right to do whatever we want to on a charter.

Fair point. But being lied to doesn't put me in a compliant frame of mind. I raised it with the second guide because I was not comfortable with that part of the briefing. While he didn't authorise a lower limit he advised it was really because they had problems with people who didn't check their air (not sure how a higher limit would help).

Alison

Back
Top Bottom