Authorized dealer..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

olieman

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else knows if Leisure Pro in an "authorized" dealer for Mares products. I cannot find this on their web site or Mares's, although I was told that they are from a Mares USA (Head) customer service rep.

I also have a somewhat related question. My LDS is not an authorized Mares dealer and I was told by Mares that they cannot order parts to repair my reg. which they've had for 3 months. I'm being told by my LDS that they have been dealing with a Mares Sales Rep and that the part is on back order. Here is an email I recieved from Mares about this....

In looking into this Dive Shop - XXXXXXXXX. They are not an authorized dealer of Mares or Dacor. They are not authorized to sell or to purchase or to work on or repair any Mares, Dacor products. They do not have an account with our company and are not affiliated with Mares and Dacor in any way. To find Authorized dealers that will be able to order parts and repair your product as well as able to sell products please see our dealer locator at www.mare.com

Is what they say about working on or repairing Mares products true if thay are not an authorized dealer? I can understand that they would have to be authorized to sell their products, but to work on or service them?

This was the same Mares CSR that told me Leisure Pro is now an authorized Mares dealer.

Any insight into this would be very welcome.

Thanks

Anyone can work on a regulator, including me. Doesn't mean I'm authorized. Also doesn't mean I'm qualified either....

However from MARES point of view, only authorized dealers or techs can work on them, especially for annual service. They don't want to have to deal with warranty issues caused by non-authorized techs. If Mares gives "free parts" warranty then you'll have to get the service work done in an authorized mares dealer location.

Chances are that if your LDS can't get the parts, and another LDS can, then they are pulling the very common "it's on backorder' parts routine. I've seen this all over the place, in the scuba industry and other industry.

This can be anything from the LDS can't order the parts directly and has to go through a "wholeseller" (middleman), or their owner won't let them order parts, or the manufacturer has a "minimum order amount" required.

now.. with that said... often if a LDS stops carrying a product line, they can still arrange to be a repair center for X amount of time. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to service all the regs they had sold in the past under the warranty program. I'm sure this differs per shop, manufacturer, and area.

If I was you, I'd call another local Mares dealer and tell them you need to get your regulator fixed and ask if they have the parts in question or are they on backorder. Call 3 or 4. Doesn't even have to be local ones. that'll answer your question about if your LDS is telling the truth about the parts.

Ollie, if a real Mares sales rep told you Leisure pro is now an authorized dealer, I'd believe them! They have no interest in lying to you! It might be new since I was also told a while back they were not. But the sales rep represents Mares and who better to know what is what?

As far as the repair goes... I find this very fishy! 3 months? I'd take it to an authorised Mares dealer near you. They are used to repairing Mares equipment and will be able to get the parts easily since they will have an account with Mares!

This is not to say that your current LDS isn't competent to wotk on your reg... They might be very competent... But since they aren't authorised.... The reg will no longer be on warranty! Also, he will (or is) have trouble getting the parts... Might not know a lot about the Mares equipment he will be servicing... All this, added to the 3 months you've been waiting, smells bad to me!:shakehead I'd get my reg out of there and bring it to an authorised dealer who won't charge you much more, but will definetly keep your warranty! being authorised isn't assurance a LDS is competent... But at least the warranty is applicable if it turns out they aren't!

This is just my 0.02$ on the subject!

Leisure Pro sells Suunto too and I'm pretty sure Suunto forbids online sales...

Get your stuff back and take it to an authorized dealer. That's way to long to take to fix anything and if it's under warranty it should be replace if it takes that long...

diversdirect also will match prices on items and are authorized dealers of the items that they sell (I just dropped another $800 with them -- all matched prices). While I wish they would offer the lower price to begin with instead of the match - 10% of the difference gimmick, but it is part of their business plan. Fair shipping prices, great return policy has been my experience with them. I have also purchased through LeisurePro and was able to return an item without a problem. Before I get toasted, my LDS still gets a healthy chunck of my paycheck for training, travel and impulse items.

It could very well be that your LDS is getting the runaround in getting parts and is doing their best to help you out. But three months is just too long to be out of the water. Ask them for the regulator back and take or send it to someone else that can guarantee that they have the parts needed ... in stock.

Thanks for the imput everyone. It seems I'm having smoke blown up my kiester by everyone on this deal.

Lessons learned...

Buy from your local LDS. At least your essential equipment. So it can be service properly.

Olieman

Back
Top Bottom