Autism and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I do not know if I did some special techniques (other than others do). But I remember I was really confused because the first instructor told it in a different way than the second. Keeping things in one and the same way is helpful, especially with new skills. So, if possible talk to his advanced instructor that both of you use the same way to tell him navigation skills.
Of course I cannot speak for all autistic people, but some things which do help very often because autistic people often have a different sensory and social perception:
- try to "regulate" sensory input, perhaps sometimes you have no problem with e.g. a noise, but an autistic person can feel pain about it and/or not be able to concentrate on what you tell because of e.g. the noise and light effect a jittering light makes
-provide the possibility for him to leave a situation if needed, sometimes only some minutes are enough to recover
-provide things/skills step by step, all in one can be really overwhelming and sometimes leads an autistic person not to be able to do anything (e.g. how to start; with homework sometimes it helps to say take you pen in you hand etc.)
-communicate directly, nuances in speech or ironic things etc. are often not understood, also autistic persons are very direct in communication (by the way, when they do not look at you while you are talking it is not unfriendly but more quite the opposite, is more a hint to he really wants to get what you say, autistic persons often can better follow a conversation when not looking at you because they are confused/do not know/are overwhelmed by direct gaze; sometimes it helps to say/allow autistic persons to look somewhere else to be able to better follow you and be more relaxt etc.)
-provide explanation why something has do be done, do this also when you perhaps think the autistic person does not understand, sometimes it takes only some time to get it (perhaps written /drawed things could also help to be able to deal with it later in a more silent etc. environment when he is on his own)

And ask him what he wants to do or what helps him, perhaps he cannot tell but perhaps he can :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom