Autistic kids can dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there are definitely many levels to the autism spectrum -- and some research i've done recently shows there are a lot of adults with undiagnosed autism - tending more towards Asperger's -- and at least a few of them are probably certified divers as well. I wonder how many of them are solo divers? something to ponder.

My son is a certified diver and just recently diagnosed with ASD (Asperger's) as a young adult. He is a natural diver (but still very inexperienced) and sometimes I worry that he is too comfortable underwater.

it would be the inexperience underwater more than anything. the only way to be be too comfortable underwater is to think you don't need a gas source/etc. (can breath like you have gills).
most of the risks he may/might take would probably due to age more than anything -- set limits on what he can/can't do underwater just like anything. Make sure he's regularly checking his gas supply and following the dive plan.
I'm fine under the water and know my limits. Above water? my wife still has trouble getting me to do stuff around the house except when i want to and it annoys her to no end. Haven't decided if that's the ASD or just being a guy/husband :D

Swampy on the other hand has been known to pursue questionable risks especially in regards to caves/caverns. But since i think he's at least legally an adult it's his business until someone has to pull him out. But the only arguments i really recall reading were in regards to lack of training at that time. Is it due to ASD or just being a young college-age male - couldn't tell you.

My son is a certified diver and just recently diagnosed with ASD (Asperger's) as a young adult. He is a natural diver (but still very inexperienced) and sometimes I worry that he is too comfortable underwater.

Come on; you're a Divemaster/Instructor. It's not the kids you need to worry about. They learn fast and it's unnerving how good and comfortable they become. It's the parents you may have to rescue! Especially if they've been watching little Johnny the entire class instead of paying attention and remembering the skills. The parents don't always learn so fast.:D

To iluvtheocean and berk in the preceding posts: My post was to show that people on the autism spectrum (ASD) can dive. I used my son as an example. He learned to dive at age 18 and was formally diagnosed with Asperger's (AS), a form of autism, as he approaches his 21st birthday. He is very comfortable in the water and jokes that during a pool dive he even fell asleep on the bottom. On land he doesn't appear to be as observant as many others - but this may be just the way he appears. As a mother AND a divemaster I worry if he is being too casual/underestimating the dangers involved in diving. It has nothing to do with his AS. I included the comment to show that people on the ASD can dive and can be comfortable doing so.

I actuality I trust this son underwater more than I do most 20 dive divers I have buddied with. (which is a little farther than I can see them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom