auto-clearing ears - more difficulty with depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I certainly agree that you should keep an eye on your computer closely, especially on ascent, and especially to monitor your ascent rate. But don't dismiss your instructors advice about color and light. I also have a very easy time clearing. I wouldn't call it effortless, but after a day or two of consecutive diving, I don't usually have to consciously clear my ears. Over years of focusing on photography, I have a pretty good sense of my depth based on the loss of color. You can find charts, like this one:

483514305.jpg

(Basic Principles of Light Underwater)

that detail what colors of light are lost at approximately what depths. Of course this is different for predominantly green or blue water, and depends on the overall visibility and light penetration. But you can develop a pretty accurate sense of how deep you are by observing how much color is left, or how completely blue/green your visual field is.

So far, @johndiver999 's advice is what I use. Of course, it's of no use if you are in a current with a vertical component, but it is better than nothing. With some practice you can hold your stops with +/- 30 cm with ease.

I love all the different suggestions. I know it is just going to be a matter of finding which works best for me with practice. Practice practice practice. Apparently that helps many things in diving? :wink:

I love all the different suggestions. I know it is just going to be a matter of finding which works best for me with practice. Practice practice practice. Apparently that helps many things in diving? :wink:
Well, yes and no. I have been practicing sleeping. A lot. So far, I have not seen any increase in my diving abilities.

Well, yes and no. I have been practicing sleeping. A lot. So far, I have not seen any increase in my diving abilities.

Dr. Buhlmann says you off-gas slower during sleep. Sleeping a lot may hamper your diving abilities. You have been warned.

Dr. Buhlmann says you off-gas slower during sleep. Sleeping a lot may hamper your diving abilities. You have been warned.
My wife complains that I off-gas a lot during my sleep :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom