auto-clearing ears - more difficulty with depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SapphireMind

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So, my ears clear without conscious thought. Most divers I've met are like awesome, that's great, you're lucky. I do still know how to clear my ears manually of course, in several different ways, hands-free and with hands. But I usually would only need to do that if I were diving congested and I haven't done that and I don't intend to (though never say never)

But, I do have more difficulty recognizing when I am changing depths than other people, I think. Because my ears clear without me even noticing, I don't notice the pressure differences as much and I've definitely struggled with good control on ascent and descent if I don't just keep my eyes glued to my dive computer. But I also don't necessarily realize if we are going into a deeper or shallower part of the dive always. Besides watching my depth gauge 24/7 which is not practical because then I can't see anything else, does anyone else whose ears auto-clear have any tips on how to be better aware of the pressure changes when you don't have that clue? Obviously practice will help :) I also have thought about trying to feel more for how my mask fit changes, or even trying to figure out how to purposely close my ears so I would have to clear them manually while diving. (don't know if I could do that, I'm just brainstorming :) )

Beyond experience and practice, anyone have any tips if they have "cooperative" ears?

I need to manually clear, but it is easy for me. A wrist mount DC may make it easier for you to check and maintain depth until you get more used to sensing the minute changes.

I am the same way. Only if I am very congested, I have to even think about clearing and then most of the time all I have to do is move my jaw or swallow. I only pinch my nose if I want to practice it, just in case I would ever need it.

The trade off are minimal. I can live with not been able to feel pressure changes. I consider myself lucky. I have never lost a dive due to congestion.

Experience, in a way, can actually make you even less sensitive, unless you consciously work on awareness of your surroundings. I have no way of sensing pressure changes, but I can feel water motion on my arms. This is not always useful (specially since I most always wear a long sleeve wet suit), but it helps.

To be honest, I just wear two dive computers, one of each wrist or forearm.

I started wearing two dive computers because when we travel I would not like to loose a single dive opportunity due to a computer malfunction. Due to the cost of traveling, I don't want to loose even a single dive opportunity, therefore it makes it very easy to justify the investment in a second dive computer.

Wearing them on both arms makes it such that at least one of the computers is always in the my field of view, at, east on the periphery (I often have a camera rig in front of me).

I actually don't need to look at the depth that often, but it is always there when I want to see it. Most of the time I am looking at marine life, which is often hiding in coral or other fixed objects. Any fixed object gives you a frame of reference.

But yes, when I close my eyes, the only sensation I can focus on is the relative water motion over any exposed skin.

Doing a safety stop in mid water at night, the easiest thing to do is look at my computer. It has been great that my new computer (Shearwater Perdix) stays lit all the time. You can also shoot an SMB, and use the line for reference.

At the end of the day, just realize that you are lucky. In almost 50 years I have seen too many friends struggling with equalizing (specially if they are congested). It doesn't look like fun.

Run a line about 3 feet off the bottom in a benign shallow environment (think swimming pool). Now hovering horizontal make the "OK" symbol around the line with both hands without touching it. Now that your in position try to close your eyes and not touch the line.

This should help you dis-associate your buoyancy from your vision and find other sensations to clue you in to depth changes. It will also make you really good at buoyancy. Personally I can not feel pressure changes unless I move 10 feet or more vertically. I have to feel for minute inertial shifts.

I clear internally without any motions, except if I rocket down an anchor line, when I sometimes have to swallow. I haven't noticed and difference with one depth compared to another. Logic says equalising should be easier the deeper you go since the pressure change gets less & less.

Don't you guys start to feel a mask squeeze though?
For some reason I notice the mask volume change far more on an ascent than on a descent.

And this specific problem borders on bragging rather than a problem for solving. Everyone should be so lucky as to be able to equalize with no conscious effort!!
So yeah, get a wrist gauge or computer and count your blessings. Took me several years to get there, early on I was always the last one down.
And then I found I had to add a wrist depth gauge as my video camera viewfinder seemed to draw me deeper and deeper.

Don't you guys start to feel a mask squeeze though?

I breathe out through the nose, it pops the ears and equalizes the mask. The downside is in cold water the glass tends to fog up... so I don't dive in cold water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom