Auto INON D-2000 vs Manual Ikelite DS50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using an S70 in a Canon housing. I just bought a G9, and whether or not I decide to take it underwater, I have been looking at the Inon 2000. It will work fine with the S70, but since the G9 has a hotshoe, and I might decide to use it, is the Inon a bad choice since it's triggered only by internal flash? I know it will still work with the internal flash on the G9.

Hi

Thought I would join this thread. I have a DS50 and the EV controller which I use with a 570. It is a great little strobe that produces a lot of light (as much as the DS125, but in a narrower window). The EV controller is easy to use underwater. Also if you have one of the later DS50's (or one that has been upgraded by Ikelite) it will work full eTTL with an Ikelite housing for cameras with a hot shoe (like the G9 and G7).

I also have a G9 that I have not taken underwater and just got an Ikelite housing for it which I hope to use shortly in full eTTL wih the DS50. Also if you are going eTTL or using the EV controller there is really no difference between the DS50 and the DS51 (the DS50 has only one manual setting - full dump, while the DS51 gives you a a few additional manual settings which are useless if you use the EV).

The Inon 2000, YS 27DX and YS 110 are also nice strobes with wider light fields. The Inon Z240 is a great strobe but expensive. The Z240 and 2000 can be triggered using a sync cord with an Ikelite housing but will operate only in manual mode, but you need to use Ikelite strobes if you want to go full eTTL.

Another guy's experience here. I bought the Inon 2000 setup for my Canon A95 & Canon housing. I was really looking forward to great shots with very little weight to schlep around the world. But I could never get the Inon/Canon combo to deliver the quality of image I was used to with my old Ikelite/Nikon N90 film setup. I could not get the exposure right. It was always too hot or underexposed. The folks at Reef Photo tried to give me some insight & tips, all to no avail.

I ended up buying an Ikelite housing for my Nikon D200 with a Substrobe 125. Presto, happy images again.

Your mileage may vary. :goldfish:

You can set the Ikelite DS-50 and EV Controller up to work with Canon. Goto manual for physical strobe setup to include internal swithes. Read up on digicam settings, but shooting manual is preferred. Get in a pool an try all the different combinations. After each shot look at LCD monitor to see if photo came out properly exposed. If not change the flash settings.. Goto Canon section on Scubaboard for more questions about settings.
You will have to learn how to dive and how to photograph at the same time.

Looks like everyone's a DS fan, I recently purchased the Inon Z-240 (type 3 - newest model), and can say S-TTL works darn well with the little p+s panasonic TZ-3. I know your post is old, but I'll say a couple things about s-ttl and optical connections, unlike the DS-51, the optical sensor and inons connections wont fire if others are taking pictures in your area, I think the DS-51 has a sensor thats pretty far away from the flash and can be triggered pretty easily. Additionally, with the Inon they included some simple films that you place over the cameras internal strobe which blocks visible light. The bonus here is that the cameras flash doesn't light up the water column directly in front of the lense producing backscatter, while still allowing the strobe to fire.

Since you are new to scuba, perhaps something simple to start, like s-ttl, wouldn't be a bad idea.

It can also be manually adjusted -2ev and +5ev on the back of the strobe, but rarerly have I needed to do this, or if you want to play with apertures shutters, e-ttl, the strobe handles those too. I like the idea of future upgradeability. (not the cost mind you!)

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom