Auto White balance is the DEVIL!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will definitely have to experiment with the darned thing. Being a scientist, I'm surprised I haven't already played with the settings since I've had it for a year now. The green "shadows" and backgrounds drive me absolutely crazy. If it is limited to the HC-7, I'll definitely either get rid of the darned thing or use it as a c=second camera topside.

Your camera is sampling the green channel more often than any other channel since it uses it for luma information. White balancing against something slightly magenta should help a LOT. Additionally, turning down some of the chroma in the camera should also help quite a lot.

I'd bet doing both of these things will eliminate or greatly reduce that green cast you speak of.

Perrone, don't the other camcorders do similar sampling? Why would this one be the only one that casts shadows in green rather than shades of gray (or is it grey)?

How many single CMOS HDV cameras have you seen low light footage from? Especially, when used in an environment that is nearly devoid of red light.

Send me a file with 10 seconds of your HDV footage. Let me take a look at it.

Guys..

i am about to buy a new sony for my diving shooting i am between
HDR-HC9

and
HDR-SR12

i find the SR12 amazing but i am consurned about the video quality, is the Tape camera would give me better image? even the SR12 has bigger sensor size?

please help me to decide, thank you

Auto WB is definitely not ideal. I firmly believe that having manual White Balance control is the most important feature when looking at a camera and housing combo. Many cameras out there have the option to use Manual WB, however few of the available housings allow access to that control.

To obtain professional results, you need a housing which allows a manual white balance. Every time you change depth or the light changes significantly, you hold out a white card (a slate works great) and manually white balance the camera. You will be amazed at the results. But you do need a housing that allows you to do that.

Jonathan

I do set white balance to AUTO, and point 15 seconds to a white board I carry with me to let the camera to adjust before every shot. two years ago I used a white label on the fin (scuba-pro gorila) that was great, but unfortunallu the cycle life of these good fins run out. And now with split fins I there was no way to stick large white lables on them.

Color correction while editing does the rest.

I do set white balance to AUTO, and point 15 seconds to a white board I carry with me to let the camera to adjust before every shot. two years ago I used a white label on the fin (scuba-pro gorilla) that was great, but unfortunately the cycle life of these good fins run out. And now with split fins I there was no way to stick large white labels on them.

Color correction while editing does the rest.

:D
Let's get it clear, AWB and 15 seconds aiming at a white slab or plate or what ever you have can do as good as an MWB? This would be great,. Let us know if this is what you meant.:D

White balance against a blue card (or magenta if you are going to be in green water), shoot your video, and correct in post.

I'm new to underwater videography so I apologize if my question comes across as common sense to the rest of you.

I just purchased a Canon HV30 with an Ikelite housing. I uploaded some videos I shot this past weekend during a beach dive to youtube and it looks like I'm stuck in the emerald city. If I had used a magenta card to white balance my camera, would it have corrected the green look of everything? Would it have affected my video in other ways adversely?

Here's a link to the video I'm talking about.
YouTube - Deer Creek - May 18, 2008 - 1 of 3

Is using this technique of white balancing against a colored card an acceptable alternative to using a filter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom