Automated External Defibrillator - Do you carry one AND are you trained in it's use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AED on O2 administration training is part of the PADI EFR class required for all rescue divers and required for all professionals, renewed every 2 years. Most dive boats have them, we have one at open water training weekends, there is one at my dive center, and there is even one in the lobby of my church. At open water weekends we review briefly all EFR procedures with all dive pros and DM candidates. We also survey parents and friends who are along and not diving, and make note of any trained medical people. Good things to have, and while they can be used with little or no training, training is appropriate and desirable, particularly as it comes to efficiency in set up and use, which can be a life saving issue.
DivemasterDennis

Don't carry/have one but have trained in it's use as part of the CPR module of my Wilderness First Responder course....seems rather unusual as no one in the "wilderness" would ever carry an AED. The CPR module is standard though, regardless of audience, so I received the training.

Good to see so many trained in one..so now think about telling the skipper of every dive boat you go on ( if they do not have one) that "it may save a life one day" so?? ..we carry one on our dive opperations...and would hate to be without it now.

Trained yes, don't own one personally but do look/ask if boat has one and where it is. Wish all boats had one as diving has risk of several medical emergencies, cardiac event being one of them. Statistics speak for themselves. CPR/02 use/AED application need to be practiced to keep skills fresh and to provide a quality, timely response to effect the best possible outcome. Just doing CPR and rushing to harbor or waiting for Coast Guard response doesn't help the victim whose heart is in need of a shock! Granted, not all cardiac events require an AED but sure nice to have handy when someone is in trouble. What is someone's life worth? Take a poll at a dive club meeting...

Trained to use one... Yes... I train people to use them and Oxygen as part of my job. Do I own one.. yes.. I don't carry it in my car all the time but every time we go diving I have it and my O2 System on board.

The National requirements in Australia have been changed recently as a result of a Coroner's Court Recommendation. There was a case where an AED was available but the trained First Aider was too intimidated to use it. (No clear evidence if it would have changed the outcome.)

Now every RTO must include AED awareness as part of the HLTFA211A Provide Basic Emergency Life Support, HLTHFA311A Apply First Aid and higher courses. Every participant must have a hands on opportunity to deploy a trainer AED as part of the course. If this is not happening, there is a breach in requirements.

The AED machines in the public domain are designed to be idiot proof and with consideration that there are some pretty creative idiots out there.

I would agree that some people may be more comfortable with deployment of an AED if they have had more in depth training. The protocol should go smoother with a fully trained operator but any untrained person with rudimentary intelligence should be able to deploy one. That said I know of a couple cases where people who had been re-certifying yearly for years on AED still got so stressed in the first time they deployed it for real.. they had trouble getting the pads to stick because they forgot to take the liner off. They figured out pretty quickly tho.

The take away message has to be.... You can not shock someone who would not benefit from a shock. The machine simply will not load a charge unless it is needed. If someone requires CPR and there is an AED available turn it on, open the lid and listen to the machine it will tell you exactly what to do. Do exactly what it says and you can't mess it up.

I have AED training (IMCA DMT/LST Supervisor), but personally I don't own an AED. It would however be a good idea...

Am in the process of getting one for our shop. This is becoming a much more lengthy process than expected since the lithium batteries used in such devices are not compliant with US airport transport. Prices locally are just prohibitive (3000$ +)... Hope I can find a solution soon!
As for knowing how to use it: yes, all our staff are CPR/First Aid/AED trained.

Does it need to come from the US?
There are many items being transported with lithium batteries and they are not forbidden in flights. There are rules as how to transport them and the allowed quantities, but there are ways to order them from other countries or transport them on planes.

The other night I attended a briefing session with my dive club on the use of the clubs A.E.D's and emergency O2 gear.
We spent 3 hours covering CPR, provision of O2 and the use of the defibrillators including practising with training units and resuscitation dummies. The session was conducted by an ambulance officer who is also a DAN trainer.

Time very well spent...

We all came away with a better understanding of the safety gear the club carries on its boats and how to best use it in an emergency.

These A.E.D units are automatic but still require a good understanding of their function and operation to use them effectively. I'd not want to have to use one without the knowledge we gained from that briefing.

I'd suggest that any club providing them on it's outings should organise a similar training session for it's members.

So the question is :

Automated External Defibrillator - Do you carry one AND are you trained in it's use?

YES AND YES o2 1st aid kit and aed EVER instructor should have one of each and every dive should have 1 of each available

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom