Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaviolator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As we thaw out from these frigid temperatures has anyone seen this movie yet? Worth the watch for underwater sci fi for the holidays?

As we thaw out from these frigid temperatures has anyone seen this movie yet? Worth the watch for underwater sci fi for the holidays?
Wife and I (both divers) saw it last Thursday in 3-D IMAX. Closest thing to diving without getting wet. It's a long: 3hrs, 10 min run time. First third is in the forest and sets-up the story line. Once they get to the tropics, it becomes almost magical. Do your best not to get hung up on the plot, the messaging, the obvious characters, or any of that. Stop, breath, don't think, -- and enjoy the amazing visuals.

Possible spoiler alert to follow, but fun for anyone who has seen it already....

We learn three things (all tongue in cheek):
1- Why Jamie Lee Curtis is still so young and smokin' hot looking;
2- That it's OK sometimes to hold your breath;
3- Don't EVER mess with a whale.

A sub-zero afternoon well spent in a warm theatre.

Wife and I (both divers) saw it last Thursday in 3-D IMAX. Closest thing to diving without getting wet. It's a long: 3hrs, 10 min run time. First third is in the forest and sets-up the story line. Once they get to the tropics, it becomes almost magical. Do your best not to get hung up on the plot, the messaging, the obvious characters, or any of that. Stop, breath, don't think, -- and enjoy the amazing visuals.

Possible spoiler alert to follow, but fun for anyone who has seen it already....

We learn three things (all tongue in cheek):
1- Why Jamie Lee Curtis is still so young and smokin' hot looking;
2- That it's OK sometimes to hold your breath;
3- Don't EVER mess with a whale.

A sub-zero afternoon well spent in a warm theatre.

If I have to turn my brain off to enjoy a movie then it sucks and I dont want to see it. I’m sure the visuals are great, but if they story sucks then who cares if it LOOKS good?

Wife and I are going with some friends this Thursday night..... IMAX Theater for sure... Hope it's great!

PS...... Anyone else happen to notice that the original Avatar was basically a total rip off of Dances With Wolves?

Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 5.42.17 PM.png

Wife and I are going with some friends this Thursday night..... IMAX Theater for sure... Hope it's great!

PS...... Anyone else happen to notice that the original Avatar was basically a total rip off of Dances With Wolves?
I read that online, but I don’t see the similarities. One was trying to make friends with the locals, the other not so much.

I sent that very same The Far Side to a friend who once called that film "Dances with White Liberal Guilt," who was -- is -- of Japanese and German extraction. I saw the first Avatar and was unimpressed by the floating rocks, ripped off from old Roger Dean album covers -- and the blue monkeys just didn't do jack for me . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.38.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-26 at 3.38.26 PM.png
    500.7 KB · Views: 49
I had a real problem with the floating rocks too. If the gravity of the planet Pandora orbits is that strong, the blue people would float off into space. The rocks would also be tidally locked like the tides on Earth.

Let's also not forget this little nugget of wisdom from our esteemed movie critics...

I'll probably go see it in IMAX if I can convince the wife to see that instead of The Whale

'Avatar 2' guilty of 'cultural appropriation,' film critic claims in ridiculed tweet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom