Question Daedalus - how good is it? - Liveaboard recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys, super helpful input!

We are currently looking at two trips, one with the above menitoned Ocean Lovers that seems to cover everything, the other one with Blue Melody, which is cheaper but seems to fully focus on wrecks...

Thanks guys, super helpful input!

We are currently looking at two trips, one with the above menitoned Ocean Lovers that seems to cover everything, the other one with Blue Melody, which is cheaper but seems to fully focus on wrecks...
I’m doing the North (Wrecks, Ras Mohamed, Tiran) and Brothers route on Ocean Lovers in 2 weeks time. I did a BDE Nov/Dec last year. I’ve dived Tiran, Ras Mohamed, the Dunraven and the Thistlegorm before, but not the other northern wrecks.
Shark and Yolanda reef is a very nice dive in Ras Mohamed. Tiran is nice too. You can get Hammerheads at Jackson, it’s the ‘back side’ and a dive into the blue needing zodiacs, so day boats from Sharm don’t tend to do it. Season for Hammers at Jackson is the summer usually, Jul - Sep.

On the recent Nov/Dec BDE we had chartered the entire boat so could do what we wanted within reason, and went to the Salem Express first, so were a day behind the crowd, this meant very few boats with us at Brothers etc. Saw 2 Threshers on our first dive at Big Brother, plenty of Oceanic Whitetips on all dives, and a Silky on one dive. We didn’t see any hammers at Daedalus, Elphinstone was rammed so we only did 2 dives then left to go elsewhere.

I’ve got a pretty good deal on Ocean Lovers for the March trip, and so far the boat isn’t busy, under half full. It’s a new boat, launched last year I understand, so should be in great condition. I’ll let you know what it’s like.

BDE route is worth it although my dive group (within the liveaboard) did not see hammerheads --the other zodiac did. My favourite dive is Numidia which is I believe near the Brothers. I went in July. Prior to it during December, I was in Sharm and managed a few days of Ras Mohammed from a resort with Emperor since I got a cold after a land tour. They have amazing liveaboard choices. I plan to go again this year, but better to ask around about the war before booking anything --I know Dahab got hit pretty close.

Hi all,
a friend and I are thinking about going for a liveaboard in April 2024 (first week). We are currently undecided between BDE and North + Brothers. I just returned from a familiy holiday to Marsa Alam where I had the opportunity to dive four times Elphinstone from land. That leaves me a bit disappointed because although we saw Oceanic Whitetips every time, it was super crowded with up to 14 liveaboards!

Hence, I would definitely not miss Elphinstone but am wondering about Daedalus. The chance to see hammerheads sounds tempting so I would like to hear your experiences with Daedalus (preferably same time of the year).

There is an alternative route with Ocean Lovers that even includes Brothers, North and even Tiran that we are leaning towards. Has anyone been on this boat or can maybe comment if Tiran is worth it?

Thanks a lot!

I only saw one hammerhead in the Daedalus blue water back in December 2019, as shown in my diving in Daedalus video, below If want to see schooling hammerheads, I recommend you to go diving in Eastern Pacific dive sites like Socorro, Cocos, Malpelo and Galapagos.

I sure enjoyed diving with the Oceanic Whitetip Sharks (OWS) in Elphinstone. The only time I saw OWS in my 19 years of diving (1641 dives) all over the world to date. So, that's worth it to dive in Elphinstone.

Here's my BDE trip video.

BDE route is worth it although my dive group (within the liveaboard) did not see hammerheads --the other zodiac did. My favourite dive is Numidia which is I believe near the Brothers. I went in July. Prior to it during December, I was in Sharm and managed a few days of Ras Mohammed from a resort with Emperor since I got a cold after a land tour. They have amazing liveaboard choices. I plan to go again this year, but better to ask around about the war before booking anything --I know Dahab got hit pretty close.
Yep, the Numidia is on the slope of Big Brother :) .

Back
Top Bottom