Average total dive depth to estimate your surface Gf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jale

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi
In the thread "Your Gradian factor?", @_Ralph and I hinted we use the total average depth of a dive to have an approximation of the surface Gf.
This "trick" has been used well before the SW has the 'surface Gf" mode and I was wondering if other divers are/were using this.
(-Ralph, I hope I understood you correctly...)
Thanks

Afternoon,
I noticed the reference, and was wondering about it. I hadn't noticed it particularly in my diving, and I don't have Surf GF on my computer (OSTC). I think it was because I hadn't considered to look for it, but logically in the same way there are patterns to enable ratio deco to work, then an average overall depth that is time compensated should show something also.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll be looking for it in future.
Rich

Hi
In the thread "Your Gradian factor?", @_Ralph and I hinted we use the total average depth of a dive to have an approximation of the surface Gf.
This "trick" has been used well before the SW has the 'surface Gf" mode and I was wondering if other divers are/were using this.
Thanks
Yes and no

Most of my dives are quite a bit longer than the NDL for the average. BUT for the shorter dives then yes, if your average is close to the NDL time then magically your surfacing GF is just a smidge below 100 as if you were diving tables to that average depth. Assuming you are multileveling upwards. The PADI wheel truly does live on

After reading these comments in the other thread I looked back at several dives in my log. The average dive depth at the time of clearing deco does seem to be fairly consistent. Dives ranging from 60 minutes to 3 hours with depths from 150' to 280' appear to maintain the consistency.

You did!

I don’t use it as any means a primary source of a dive planning tool, more of a ‘where am
I at?’ Tool

_R

Hi
Thanks

Sorry guys maybe I am dumb but I am not fully understanding how this little quick calc works? But I am always open to learning new tips and tricks and I am very curious about this.

My last dive profile, Shearwater says my average depth was 27.1 meters. How does this relate to my surface GF?

full.jpg

I dive 40/85 with a setpoint of 1.3. The average depth varies anywhere between 21m and 29m on deco dives. This greatly varies depending on the amount of helium in the mix and also by how much I pump up the set point during deco.

There are too many variables which could effect your average depth - as such i don't think it is a useful metric in this day and age - we have way better tools to work with.

I dive 40/85 with a setpoint of 1.3. The average depth varies anywhere between 21m and 29m on deco dives. This greatly varies depending on the amount of helium in the mix and also by how much I pump up the set point during deco.
There are too many variables which could effect your average depth - as such i don't think it is a useful metric in this day and age - we have way better tools to work with.
Of course we have better tools and as it has been said this is just a way to get another awareness of a PERSONAL pattern related to the dives you do.
The thing is that before we have all these formalised tricks (playing with Gf) included in electronic devices, divers empirically developped their way into making sense of their parameters.

Sorry guys maybe I am dumb but I am not fully understanding how this little quick calc works? But I am always open to learning new tips and tricks and I am very curious about this.
My last dive profile, Shearwater says my average depth was 27.1 meters. How does this relate to my surface GF?
View attachment 627983
Nice dive :)
This relationship between total avg depth and surf gf is a pattern and then it needs a lot of similar dives for you to see if you can see something constant.
It is just an observation you may find and that you may use to give you a kind of awareness of your position in the dive.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom