Avoiding the crowds - Where to go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the same "non touristy" requirements but with more money in my wallet, I'd put high on my list these two :
Uepi in the Solomon islands,
Kri island in West Papua... (although it seems a place more for coral life than really big pelagics)

If you don't mind to rough it a bit, I would go for :
Alor Divers in Indonesia, where everythng can happen.
This other one in Selayar is supposed to be a shark mecca but the usual dives can get really deep down like 50m.

The last really non touristy place I went was northern Mozambique, in a place called fim do mundo (end of the world... and it is...). I could recommend it without any reservations (be warned : rustic!) but it's mostly for small critters buffs, although april and may is Mola Mola time and from August to november, whale watching period.

Can recommend New Caledonia for what you are looking for, but an expensive place to get to and stay.....

ofu somoa

I go to remote place like Fakarava, Christmas Island (Kiribati), East Timor and Papua..... pristine reefs, no crowds, lots and lots of sea life and the finest diving on this planet.....although I still like Palau!

DILI, East Timor - East Timor declared a state of emergency Tuesday after attacks on the country's top leaders in a failed coup left the president in "extremely serious" condition with gunshot wounds East Timor declares state of emergency - Yahoo! News

I was there in 2006 4 months after the 30 or so police officers were killed.....I felt safer there than I would in 90% of Los Angeles. With all the Aussie troops in Timor now it would be one of the safest places to go.

You can try Alor - We spent a week with Alor Divers and were the only guests at the resort and the only divers on all dive sites we visited...
Great diving and great hosts...

Back
Top Bottom