Azimuth Scr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hornetplt

Reaction score
I am the owner of an AZIMUTH SCR and have after realizing the true inefficiencies in an SCR(as compared to CCR) been diving it under the following settings to allow for better gas efficiency and less bubbles. I have been very happy with the results! This post is not to encourage anyone to attempt this on their own, put to query other experienced rebreather owners on my mods and to poke holes in my changes.

- Use 65-70% NITROX in bottom tank, set flow rate to 1.8 lpm(nice feature of the AZIMUTH) which is just under my calculated "casual diving" VO2 of .7-.8 lmp. 2 external ppO2 sensors(VR3 and HS Explorer...completely independent) with integrated VR3 computer for real time decompression algorithm. I will have to manually add gas "on the fly" from my primary tank on occasion to compensate for O2 consumption during dive.
- I will use air or NITROX 32 in top tank and use this for surface "diluent" and bailout.
- Under these settings, I can plan on at least 5 hrs of diving utilzing only the bottom tank (4L FABER) as primary gas.
- Counterlungs are large enough to compensate for most minor depth changes.
- The biggest change I have noticed is less WOB because I don't have to fight the overpressure relief valve with each exhaled breath.
- MUCH less bubbles!
There is inherent risk involved with modifying any rebreather. I have accepted that risk and would not recommend ANYONE attempt any modification without thorough knowledge of their system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom