B/P Disorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops! I really should check who the author is before reading! I didnt actually - very impressive!!!

I know two people very well who have bi-polar disorder. One is very well maintained on meds, and hasn't had any relapse of a manice phase in about 5 years, and to my knowledge hasn't had the depressive phase either. There is no reason in his case to think that he won't lead a very normal life indefinitely. He maintains a very technical professionl position and functions so that no one could tell that anything is wrong. I would dive with this person if he were certified without being afraid of the problems associated with the disease.

I also know someone who is on medication, but still has bouts of both phases of the illness. As far as I'm concerned, he is not very responsible, and doesn't function well enough to work full time. I definitely would not dive with this person. Most days he would be fine, but I would be afraid I wouldn't see the problem coming on until it was too late.

I give you this information because I am very familiar with this illness, and I don't think it's fair to say that everybody with the illness would be a dangerous dive buddy. I think it really depends on how well the illness is managed by the medication, and which medications the person is on. There are quite a few meds which are given to people with bi-polar disorder and they have different side effects, or no noticable side effects depending on the person.

Now, for my own disclaimer....
You have to make your own decision, and I cannot tell you 100% that everbody with the illness would be a safe diver. I would say to you that if you know the person, and have dived with the person in the past and felt confident in their ability, that you don't have to automatically rule them out for fun, safe diving. I know you, and I think you can tell enough by being around your friend to make the decision. Only do what you feel safe doing, and research the illness a little. It will help your friend a great deal for you to be knowledgable and understanding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom