Back flotation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robby6Pack

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What can I expect when making the switch from a wrap around flotation to a back flotation BC? What is the difference, as far as flotation characteristics, in a true BP/W and lets say a ScubaPro KnightHawk?
Thanks

The switch should be easy as long as you are comfortable in the water. Just have some of your weight in the back, by using trim pockets, a steel tank or a back plate. As you inflate your BC, bring your knees up. Don't over inflate the BC.

As far as the flotation difference in a BP/W and a Scubapro KnightHawk, they will be similar if you have the same amount of weight in the back.

Less weight, better trim, and a slight learning curve. Depending on the tank, you will have to find the sweet spot on the surface. Over inflating will tip you slightly forwards depending on your weight set up. My favorite position on the surface is floating on my back like an inner tube.

Can't help you with the Nighthawk difference. I have a aluminum BP with a Transplate harness and a Transpac. The Transpac is the goto rig because it's so comfortable. Best thing about a harness is you can set it up exactly how you want it. I considered a Ranger or Nighthawk, but glad I went the route I did. It was the right decision for me.

Good luck,
Jay

Back
Top Bottom