Back from Coz!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all-

Just a quick note. Returned tonight from 9 days in Cozumel. A detailed trip report will be coming shortly.

Quick Highlights:

Water temp: 79-82 degrees
Current: Negligible to FIERCE
Visibility: 60 - 90 ft... avg 80 ft.

Major +++:
Lots of nurse sharks
Many barracuda
Morays
Lobsters
Monster grouper
Toadfish

Major ----:
-All-inclusives far from town can feel like prison
-Many local service reps are clueless or unable to actually DO anything
-Hot and humid and most places are "open air"
-Many dive operators go beyond safety and what is allowed.

More later.

Hi Scottbeach,

I'm going to Coz the week of August 16th. I'm glad you got to see so much. Sounds like the diving was what I'm hoping it will be for us.

This is my first trip to Coz. We're staying at an all inclusive too. I've never stayed at one and from what I understand ours is 3 miles from town. I am looking forward to spending my non-diving time in a hammock with a good book. With the humidity this is all I may be able to do.

What was unsafe on the boat? This will be my first boat dive as well and I'm not sure what to expect.

I look forward to reading your details.

Aquagal.

(From the often cold, foggy Monterey Bay area)

Aquagal-

You'll love the diving and you'll enjoy being closer in. We were around 10 miles south of town, so it was $19 one way for a cab into town.

As far as boat dives, you'll love em, so effortless to get going. There was nothing unsafe about boat diving, just the DM/operator. One thing to consider... larger boats are slower and carry more people, but they also tend to carry oxygen, medical kits, and bathrooms. Our bad experience was with an operator recommended by Apple Vacations and it may have been an isolated incident. We dove the rest of the week with Dressel Divers (at the Iberostar). While their boats are large and will often carry 3 dive groups to the reef at a time, with time separation and current, we never felt crowded on the reef at all or ran into other divers. Current diving is kind of like being on those motorized rides at Disneyworld....everyone stays separated and never crowd each other.

All told, in 11 dives, we logged over 450 minutes of bottom time. Most operators allow you to dive your computer (along their dive plan) or follow them, managing your own bottom time based upon air consumption of you and your buddy.

Where are you staying? Reef club? Allegro? Other?

Hi Scottbeach,

I'm going with a group from my LDS and we're staying at the Park Royal. Several people are bringing their children and this place is supposed to have childcare and lots of activities for kids.

I don't know what dive operator we will be using but my LDS does have a good reputation for being very safety conscious.

Wow, 80 ft of vis -- the most I've been in is 30! This is going to be so cool!

Aquagal:bounce:

Cozumel is a wonderful place. It is primative in comparison to other resort type locations but that is part of its allure. This year was our 5th wedding anny. and our 5th year straight to go to Cozumel. Diving is great, the people are freindly but it is hot and humid. Best cure for that it heading to Mezcalitos on the outer side of the island for the afternoons. You get the ocean breeze and they have nice cheap cold beer.

We dive with Living -Underwater. They do only computer dives and are very experianced. Oracio, the owner dove with Aldora for a number of years and has been a DM for 15years in Cozumel. He goes out of his way to make sure all are happy and have a great and safe diving experience.

They also use LPSteel tanks so you wear less weight and can stay down forever. They do multilevel dives as all wear computers and have nice long bottom times. The cost is more but the dollar/minute of bottom time is cheap. Our shortest dive was 74minutes. Dove with lp120's on the guys and lp95's for the ladies. Longest dive that trip was just over 90mins.

I am going back again at the end of this month. Aug. 26th I think.

Bill

Aquagal,
I stayed at the Park Royal last year & really liked it. It's an older property & the rooms need to be updated. But the food was pretty good & the drinks were really good. Liked the underpass to the beach. Beach is perfect for kids, very calm little cove. They have a kid pool & play area but can't personally comment on it, as we left the kids at home. Stay away from the time share people-they are brutal. If you get a chance to shore dive (I highly rec'mnd it) there is a cesna plane out aways from the hotel. Between the Park Royal & the La Cieba.
Let us know all the details when you get back.

Wife and I are going to Coz. on the 17th. Maybe we can do some dives. See my post at Texas Swamp Diving Team.

Sealskin98,

I am so excited about going to Cozumel!

We'll be there from the 17th -24th. We're flying through Houston -- we may even be on the same flight. I'll be with the (very likely loud and rowdy) group with 2 non-diving children and diving teenagers pretending not to know us. Actually, we're all fairly well behaved.

This trip is through our LDS and I don't know all the itinerary yet.

Aquagal :wave:

PS: Swamp diving huh? How's the water? Sounds like something for only the brave...

is rather easy, you don't have to worry about the vis., it's always about 3 inches or less.
:D

As far as the boats go in Coz. I prefer the small, fast boats that take about 6 ppl. max, they get to the reefs real quick.

aquagal,

I did my first trip to Coz in July, and loved it. However, the next time I will stay at a place out of town, like you are. The town is noisy, has no beaches, and is overrun with cruise ship passengers looking for jewlwry and t-shirts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom