Back from Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back late last night from a wonderful trip to Maui! We completed our AOW training, and dove everyday except one for a total of 14 dives. We did our training and all of our charters with Lahaina Divers, and couldn't have been happier with the service they offered. We found that they went out of their way to make everyone comfortable and have good dives, including switching a couple of divers on one of our charters to AL100's so they could have more bottom time (never seen bigger hoovers than these guys!). Our tanks were unfailingly filled to over 3000 psi, and they were wonderful about letting us have more bottom time because we had computers.

The dives:

We did 3 Lanai charters, and absolutely loved every single one of them. Both Cathedrals are amazing and we're looking forward to diving them again next year. We also did a Molokini Crater dive, which proved to be one of our highlights as we got a great look at a rather large Manta Ray!! Our backwall charter was one to test skill levels as the current was ripping and the waves were rather high that day. We wound up in a few up and down currents, and at the end were swirled around in a toilet bowl effect before boarding the boat. The captain called the second tank and we puttered around in the crater instead of going back into the current.

Our shore dives were Black Rock and Kapalua Bay. We had a non-diver with us so asked around for which shore dives would be good for her. Black Rock was loads of fun, and we not only saw the requisite turtles, but also 2 spotted Eagle Rays, which came to within about 10 feet of us as we laid on the bottom watching them. Kapalua Bay was a disappointment and we didn't even get close to sucking our tanks dry. We found the reef as a whole to be very unhealthy with algae growing on everything. There were a few nice healthy patches, but basically we wished we had gone down to Honoloa Bay instead. Our snorkeler enjoyed both spots, so all was not lost.

Unfortunately we missed Tim while we were there. We were supposed to hook up with him at Honoloa Bay to dive, but one of our regs had a problem and we spent most of that morning getting it adjusted, etc. (driving to and fro). Kudos go to Lahaina Divers for fixing the problem and not charging us.

We're definitely looking forward to going back to Maui next April and diving more! :D Hopefully we can hook up with Tim then.

DiveMe:
We just got back late last night from a wonderful trip to Maui! We completed our AOW training, and dove everyday except one for a total of 14 dives. We did our training and all of our charters with Lahaina Divers, and couldn't have been happier with the service they offered. We found that they went out of their way to make everyone comfortable and have good dives, including switching a couple of divers on one of our charters to AL100's so they could have more bottom time (never seen bigger hoovers than these guys!). Our tanks were unfailingly filled to over 3000 psi, and they were wonderful about letting us have more bottom time because we had computers.

The dives:

We did 3 Lanai charters, and absolutely loved every single one of them. Both Cathedrals are amazing and we're looking forward to diving them again next year. We also did a Molokini Crater dive, which proved to be one of our highlights as we got a great look at a rather large Manta Ray!! Our backwall charter was one to test skill levels as the current was ripping and the waves were rather high that day. We wound up in a few up and down currents, and at the end were swirled around in a toilet bowl effect before boarding the boat. The captain called the second tank and we puttered around in the crater instead of going back into the current.

Our shore dives were Black Rock and Kapalua Bay. We had a non-diver with us so asked around for which shore dives would be good for her. Black Rock was loads of fun, and we not only saw the requisite turtles, but also 2 spotted Eagle Rays, which came to within about 10 feet of us as we laid on the bottom watching them. Kapalua Bay was a disappointment and we didn't even get close to sucking our tanks dry. We found the reef as a whole to be very unhealthy with algae growing on everything. There were a few nice healthy patches, but basically we wished we had gone down to Honoloa Bay instead. Our snorkeler enjoyed both spots, so all was not lost.

Unfortunately we missed Tim while we were there. We were supposed to hook up with him at Honoloa Bay to dive, but one of our regs had a problem and we spent most of that morning getting it adjusted, etc. (driving to and fro). Kudos go to Lahaina Divers for fixing the problem and not charging us.

We're definitely looking forward to going back to Maui next April and diving more! :D Hopefully we can hook up with Tim then.

sounds like post maui depression hasn't set in yet..it will :wink:

took me a while to get over it when i got back..

Nope, no Maui withdrawals yet...and I'm hoping to avoid them completely since we have an amazing trip to Belize planned for December, and will return to Maui in April next year for spring break.

We sure don't mind being "forced" to go back to Maui yearly to enjoy our timeshare...and are even considering buying a second week since one week just isn't enough, but we'll see about that.

We bought a time share on Maui but haven't used it for a few years. We're saving it up. Usually on Maui we stay for a minimum of a month and that isn't enough either :)

mossym:
sounds like post maui depression hasn't set in yet..it will :wink:

took me a while to get over it when i got back..
Whew boy do I know about Maui withdrawls!! I can't seem to stay away from Maui.
I get withdrawls before the plane even lifts off the ground.

calscubagirl:
Whew boy do I know about Maui withdrawls!! I can't seem to stay away from Maui.
I get withdrawls before the plane even lifts off the ground.
I thought everybody got those... :)

My post Maui depressions start surfacing a couple of days before we leave.

Gotta do something about that :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom