Back in Boynton Beach again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Arrived on Thursday. I was scheduled for the Friday 3 tanker in Jupiter, they cancelled on Thursday afternoon based on a NOAA prediction of 3-5 with occasional 6. Sorry, but I think JDC has become too conservative. I went out with Loggerhead in Boynton. Seas were 2-3. Unfortunately, visibility was not stellar, probably about 20 ft. I did 75 and then the north end of the reef down the finger on a south drift.. Both dives were fine, had a good time. Water temp was 81 degrees.

Today I went out with Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers. The contrast was stark, visibility was 70-80 feet, dazzling. The water temp was a bit lower, 76-77 degrees. First dive was outside on Sharkie's Ledge over to Briney Breezes. Current changed from light north on the outside to light south on the inside. 2nd dive was on the inside, Castle Ledge down to Briney Breezes with a light south current. So, all I saw today was the usual reef fish, no turtles, no sharks. So what does that mean? I was sitting in one spot on the outside and saw Spotfin, Reef, Banded and Four Eyed Butterflyfish, Scrawled and Whitespotted Filefish, Smooth and Spotted Trunkfish, Queen and Grey Angels, a Bluespotted Coronetfish. a Spotted Moray, and many more indigenous reef fish, all without moving an inch, wow. Wind and cooler temperatures also came up, it was a really good day for a boat coat.

Conditions do not look so good for my remaining 3 days, but I may get out. There's no place like home, diving with friends.

You can't rely on NOAA for accurate information. That said, I'd think twice about going out from the Jupiter Inlet with 15 knot winds with seas 3-5.

Arrived on Thursday. I was scheduled for the Friday 3 tanker in Jupiter, they cancelled on Thursday afternoon based on a NOAA prediction of 3-5 with occasional 6. Sorry, but I think JDC has become too conservative. I went out with Loggerhead in Boynton. Seas were 2-3. Unfortunately, visibility was not stellar, probably about 20 ft. I did 75 and then the north end of the reef down the finger on a south drift.. Both dives were fine, had a good time. Water temp was 81 degrees.

Today I went out with Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers. The contrast was stark, visibility was 70-80 feet, dazzling. The water temp was a bit lower, 76-77 degrees. First dive was outside on Sharkie's Ledge over to Briney Breezes. Current changed from light north on the outside to light south on the inside. 2nd dive was on the inside, Castle Ledge down to Briney Breezes with a light south current. So, all I saw today was the usual reef fish, no turtles, no sharks. So what does that mean? I was sitting in one spot on the outside and saw Spotfin, Reef, Banded and Four Eyed Butterflyfish, Scrawled and Whitespotted Filefish, Smooth and Spotted Trunkfish, Queen and Grey Angels, a Bluespotted Coronetfish. a Spotted Moray, and many more indigenous reef fish, all without moving an inch, wow. Wind and cooler temperatures also came up, it was a really good day for a boat coat.

Conditions do not look so good for my remaining 3 days, but I may get out. There's no place like home, diving with friends.

Welcome home! How was Bonaire?

Hi @jeffsky29

Bonaire was fantastic. My daughter was down for 6 days and my son and his wife for 6 days. They overlapped by 2 days and it was the first time all 4 of us dived together since 2004, priceless. 44 dives in 12 days, we took the last day off to show my son and his wife around the island. It was the first time my son's wife had ever snorkeled with real gear, mask, snorkel and fins. She had a great time and saw a turtle at the top of Bari Reef. We saw all kinds of great stuff, several seahorses, 3 octopi, many turtles, and all of the great reef fish you see in Bonaire.

Very best and good diving,

Craig

Craig,

Sounds like a great time had by all! Must have been a great feeling to dive with your entire immediate family - Glad to hear it. 44 dives in 12 days is amazing!!!

Best regards,

Jeff

@scubadada Did you happen to go out today? Hope not.

If you look closely you can see the captain fall from the upper deck...

@scubadada Did you happen to go out today? Hope not.

If you look closely you can see the captain fall from the upper deck...

No, I stayed at dock. Not sure what that guy was doing inside the breakers. Looks like he may have lost power after he hit that first wave, or got knocked away from the controls, leaving him side to, to be broadsided by the next wave. Scary. Hopefully those jet skis picked him up uninjured.

Wow, I just read in another thread that that was the Starfish with diver on board. There were big swells coming from the Atlantic - Not from wind. Shows you even an experienced captain can get caught off guard sometimes. Gotta respect the ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom