Back in the early 1970's.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Campbell

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
....a group of us were gathered around the dock at the good doctor Morgan Well's house muching on celery sticks, cheese and rum. As it was, we were celebrating the successful launch of USIC (Under Sea Instrument Chamber) which was soon to be taken to the sea off Miami to measure the effluent discharge from that city and study the effects of same on the corals, sea life, etal. USIC was pronounced the same as an item several of that interesting group (which included Frank Chapman, Jim Jessup, Ed Pemberton, Tom Montgomery, Derinda Claggett, Trish Clontz....well, actually it was the early 70's. I can't remember who all was there, but I think those people were, along with a few other deep water denizens, but at least I remember I was there anyhow...) were wearing around their necks...(which I happened to see hung around the necks of some people in the movie "The Eagle" the other night and which stimulated this line of thought from the recesses of my mind)..extra points if you can guess what that item actually WAS...or if you can tell me where I lost mine....Eventually another good doctor by the name of Ralph Brauer brought a fine expensive bottle of champagne with which to christen USIC. Wells seemed to consider the act for a moment or two then with pirate aplumb shook the bottle and shot the cork across USIC's yum yum yellow bow and passed the bottle around for all of us to swig. Part and parcel of the conversation that night was how well the space exploration program and the ocean habitat programs were going and how we thought both would flourish in the coming years. Some of us even projected that diving classes would be a college requirement. It appears we may have been wrong on several accounts. But that is a damn pleasant memory......
Mike

Ok...it's been several weeks now and no one hazarded a guess about the neck worn item that was pronounced the same as USIC. In the interest of being a University lecturer and unable to let a question go unanswered........even my own......
Oosik (Usic) is the baculum (penis bone) of certain mammals, in this case walrus, and supposedly has magical power....whether that is true or not I can't say nor can I remember where that necklace of mine ever got to.....
Mike...there, I feel better...;-)..........

What's really funny. I was beathing comprassed gas during the day, and embracing the above at night. Would not trade it for the world.

Split you actually sent me scurrying to youtube to remember those songs. I was a fan of EL&P but listened infrequently to Uriah.....although you HAVE spurred me to figure out where all my 60-70's albums are....I'll probably find them beneath the box that contains the oosik, the disassembled SKS and a can of C-rat "security" peaches (in juice)...that was about the time I switched to country.....;-)
Mike

[video=youtube;cSZfUnCK5qk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk[/video]

Split you actually sent me scurrying to youtube to remember those songs. I was a fan of EL&P but listened infrequently to Uriah.....although you HAVE spurred me to figure out where all my 60-70's albums are....I'll probably find them beneath the box that contains the oosik, the disassembled SKS and a can of C-rat "security" peaches (in juice)...that was about the time I switched to country.....;-)
Mike

Hey Man. Do you know me? That's where I have mine. Only I fed the C-rats to the dogs and am subbing MRE's.

But fact is, I have a lot of vinyl. My daughter took an ancient history class in JHS. The teacher had a turn table. I contributed some classic vinyl.

And now..you have me wondering..when I went through my storage, safe, and safe deposit box to comply with the Federal ID Act in order to renew my drivers license, I only came across the dozen or so albums I loaned to my Kid's class. I do have EL&P, King Crimson, Uriah Heap. Got them all.

Gotta go go now. I found something that looks like a Sweet Tart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom