Back inflate bcd tilting to the side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have been using a jacket style bcd before, so definitely getting used to this bcd is part of the equation.

I dont think its u shaped wing, more of a donut. Also I am diving a wetsuit, but the problem was at 10m, and at 40m it wasnt much of a difference.

Maybe my first mistake was starting of with weights in trim pockets, as it seemed like a good idea. But a common factor in all your suggestion is getting the weights on point, so I will definitely start there, and see what will happen. Then, if needed, I will change the placement of the weights.

I will definitely come back here with the results of my trial and error process, and go from there. I will also ask my buddy to film me with gopro, to see what is going on.

If a bunch of guys can dive this things no problem, obviously this is a user error and a newbie problem, so I hope I will leran a lot during this process.

Thanks guys!

If there's a passage for air from one side of the wing to the other along the bottom, it's a donut, otherwise it's U-shaped.

If there's a passage for air from one side of the wing to the other along the bottom, it's a donut, otherwise it's U-shaped.
I checked, there is indeed a passage for air along the bottom and on the top.

I am thinking that I may be swimming tilted forward (head down, feet up) and when i inflate my bcd, the air goes to the left side and is traped there, instead of spreading to the right...

Will test out the theories and hopefully solve the problem.

I am thinking that I may be swimming tilted forward (head down, feet up) and when i inflate my bcd, the air goes to the left side and is traped there, instead of spreading to the right...
If that is the case, moving some of the weight from the trim pockets to the main pockets should help as you'll be moving some of the ballast away from your head and more toward the center of your body.

If that is the case, moving some of the weight from the trim pockets to the main pockets should help as you'll be moving some of the ballast away from your head and more toward the center of your body.
my bcd has dumpable pockets, but also some weight pockets way back on the waist, almost on the back. Should i put some weights there, or should i jsut stuff my dumpable pockets and call it a day?

I am thinking that I may be swimming tilted forward (head down, feet up) and when i inflate my bcd, the air goes to the left side and is trapped there, instead of spreading to the right...
Why would the air be trapped on one side? You said the two sides are connected.

I checked, there is indeed a passage for air along the bottom and on the top.

Will test out the theories and hopefully solve the problem.
Sometimes you have to tilt to the opposite side the air is in to move it back to where it belongs.

I have no idea, but it somehow it is and it is really annoying.

The only possible explanation i could think of is my swim position - if i am tilted to much forward and inflate the bcd, the air would pass by the passage in the left part of the wing and not transfer on the right side, which is causing my tilt.

I will move the weights around and see if it helps.

@smiffy6four i tried that and it does work until i start to fiddle with the buttons again:) maybe me getting used to this bcd is part of the solution...

A perfectly balanced and trimmed rig will have minimal to no air in your BCD at depth. If you have enough air in your bladder that you can shift it around AND weights, then you probably need to lose the weights.

my bcd has dumpable pockets, but also some weight pockets way back on the waist, almost on the back. Should i put some weights there, or should i jsut stuff my dumpable pockets and call it a day?
Start with small movements. So, I'd say move to the dumpable pockets first. If you are still head down, then go further back.
Yeah, that's puzzling me as well. If head up or head down, the air should still equalize between the two sides as it's connected all around. If it was a U, I could see how head down could result in this, but a donut shouldn't.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom