Back Inflation vs Vest Style BCDs - Diving Maluku

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have tried BP/W several times over the years, I have also had a number Jackets over the years.Some good, some bad.
Overall I prefer a jacket, my current one fits really well and is just so much more convenient or so it seems to me.

My Halcyon Infinity goes on quickly with no adjustments. What makes you think BP/W are less convenient?

I actually just got back from testing out my new BP&W I been slowly piecing together out on Catalina Island yesterday.

First let me say the "forces your face down into the water " is ********, I was actually very comfortable in all positions, especially on my back, just chilling looking up at the sky after an awesome dive.
I thought it was way more comfortable and less clunky and free then the (rental) jacket BCDs I was used to. I felt like a fat man after lipo.

I used SS plate w/ STA & 24lb wing (I think) and (ditchable) weight pockets on the waist harness.I musta hit a hole in one, bc everything trimmed out better than expected.

Everyone always seems to say that BP/W is this holy grail of equipment ...
not "everyone", just so many people on SB it seems that way sometimes. :wink:

I actually just got back from testing out my new BP&W I been slowly piecing together out on Catalina Island yesterday.

First let me say the "forces your face down into the water " is ********...
no, it's not ********. Yes it's all about weight distribution (both yours and the kind you add!), and one has to get that right. You're diving Catalina, so you've got floaty exposure protection in front of the wing, and possibly a steel tank behind the wing. That all by itself tends to prevent the "faceplant" thing. If diving warm water with less exposure protection, and probably aluminum especially if you're at a resort, it can be a genuine problem that is harder to fix.

Last edited:
I had a student today who had no issues at all with trim in a BCD, either before or after I took her ankle weights off. This was hovering stationary on a platform. People manage both. The fashion is to say the BCDs are rubbish but really they can work perfectly well.

She did have trouble with getting places to clip things off and part of that would be fixed with less stuff at the front. Maybe a wing, maybe some other BCD.

For a single cylinder setup I think the practical advantages such as during positioning and accommodating almost any sized diver are probably more important than trim. You always have options to move cylinders up and down and change where you keep your arms.

First, thanks for not just posting a link to some blog of yours.

But

This is wrong. The speed can easily be proven to be wrong by putting a wing vs a bcd of same capacity and seeing which one empties fastest.
As for the stability, please do not compare bcds to life jackets, they are not the same, and a bcd jacket can very well put and keep you face down. (edit: I'll add that SOME, to my knowledge only 1 or 2 models are considered life jackets)

Nah, Anyone can be fairly streamlined and have proper trim with any kind of bcd.

Nope, really nope.

Begs the question: What experience do you have with different types of gear? :confused:
Hai Budyy.... I try to introduce my place to the world.. so i think, it is still ok if i link to my blog... because i write from my originaly... any way thank you for your advise about this article..

I certainly hope that this was not written by a dive pro..too many unsafe statements here to mention..never put air in bcd to ascend, it is not an elevator. Diver should be neutrally buoyant and simply swim up, releasing air from bcd to control ascent.
i said that because to make you ascend controlled by fining buddy...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom