Staying _vertical_ in back-inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
The subject is correct. Having only owned jacket-style BCDs, I am interested to know how challenging (i.e. expending energy/air) it is to stay in a vertical position using a back-inflate BC. Why you ask? I own a boat and want to begin doing my own gear/bottom cleaning. To do this. I need to remain mostly vertical/neutral for a considerable amount of time. Think 1-2 hours. For bottom scraping on my back would be acceptable. Will I be fighting the natural tendency of the back-inflate BC to keep me horizontal or roll me over while on my back?

The subject is correct. Having only owned jacket-style BCDs, I am interested to know how challenging (i.e. expending energy/air) it is to stay in a vertical position using a back-inflate BC. Why you ask? I own a boat and want to begin doing my own gear/bottom cleaning. To do this. I need to remain mostly vertical/neutral for a considerable amount of time. Think 1-2 hours. For bottom scraping on my back would be acceptable. Will I be fighting the natural tendency of the back-inflate BC to keep me horizontal or roll me over while on my back?
Won't be an issue. If you're concerned because of something you've read it's probably talking about being on the surface where it would tip you slightly forward compared to jacket style. Now, that being said, for 1-2 hour duration think about thermal comfort. Everyone's different but you will get colder over time.

Not an issue. When I volunteer at an aquarium, I use the aquarium’s Stiletto or Fury BCs. No issue at all staying vertical to clean windows, walls, or rock features. Likewise, no issue maintaining vertical or horizontal position when interacting with guests through the windows.

One thing, though. My personal BC is a Stiletto, and a simple mod I did helped a lot with trim. From the factory, the trim pockets are on the lower band, and pretty much inline with the main weight pockets. I moved them to the upper band. They should probably be there to begin with. After the mod, I find it much easier to be either horizontal or vertical.

Be careful not to overweight yourself. The more excess lead you have, the more air you need in the wing, and thus the more difficult to control your trim.
I also volunteer in an aquarium, and almost verybody is oveweighted "so they can stay on the bottom without effort." Bad practice.

Back
Top Bottom