Back mount doubles question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you're firmly committed to diving doubles, you have a minor outpatient surgical procedure to install two ports in your spine. The wingnuts fit in nicely to those ports and help lock the doubles in place.

Actually, you don't even notice them because of the way the backplate is indented. There's a channel that runs down the center of a backplate and the wing-nuts fit comfortably in there.

You can manipulate where the aircraft nuts go to control how long the all-thread rods stick towards the diver. It will all make more sense when you start to assemble the set.

It depends on the bolt length. It can stick out a bit and the shape of the wing will shield your back but if they bolt sticks out too much (2-4") then it could jab you.

Then there's the just reversing the bolts trick........:).......sorry, I could not resist. I really tried.

I have no idea how much weight i will need, but how do you guys suggest rigging weight up?

However much weight you need, be aware that they will probably try to put you head down in the water, so your weight might need to be lower than for a single tank rig.

However much weight you need, be aware that they will probably try to put you head down in the water, so your weight might need to be lower than for a single tank rig.

This is why I switched from SS to AL backplate, so I could put 1 to 4 lbs of weight at my waist. Vast improvement.

This is why I switched from SS to AL, so I could put 1 to 4 lbs of weight at my waist. Vast improvement.

Steel doubles always have the same weight distribution through the dive tho. double 80's like in Mexico get really butt light at the end of the dive, for me even with tailweight.
Personally i prefer steel double's, but that's probably cause i used steel double's for 99% of my dives.

Steel doubles always have the same weight distribution through the dive tho. double 80's like in Mexico get really butt light at the end of the dive, for me even with tailweight.
Personally i prefer steel double's, but that's probably cause i used steel double's for 99% of my dives.

I switched from SS BP to AL BP. Only use Steel 85 doubles.

I dive twin 12l euros and Ss backplace and have to wear 3kg but i actually wear 4kg as i trim out better.
I have the bands as high as possible that i can still isolate and wear a 2kg tail weight and a 2kg v weight.
That is while wearing 4th element artics and trilam suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom