Back mount pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used your setup for years and it’s a simple way to carry a little bit of redundancy. The only issue is simply that a 19’ bottle won’t last long at a serious depth.

A 19 would be had to sling and the 40s are easier to sling and have the advantage of being able to see the valve etc.

If your diving isn’t deeper than 100’ or so, your setup will do the job. Just be sure to check the tank is full before each dive.

For sure, 19 is not big, but I'm solidly a rec diver. I'm not pushing any limits.

For sure, 19 is not big, but I'm solidly a rec diver. I'm not pushing any limits.
It worked for me for years!

My recommendation is to switch to doubles. BUT, I used a 40 for a few years on a bracket, and that is really not a great way to go. Much easier to sling it under your LEFT arm. I pressurize the reg before entering the water, then turn the valve OFF, to prevent free flows. the major issue with the bracket is needing a longer SPG hose and mounting it so you can access the valve.

My recommendation is to switch to doubles. BUT, I used a 40 for a few years on a bracket, and that is really not a great way to go. Much easier to sling it under your LEFT arm. I pressurize the reg before entering the water, then turn the valve OFF, to prevent free flows. the major issue with the bracket is needing a longer SPG hose and mounting it so you can access the valve.
i do the same only difference valve is always on. Why are you expecting a free flow ? Most of the reg now have a pre dive, dive switch.

i do the same only difference valve is always on. Why are you expecting a free flow ? Most of the reg now have a pre dive, dive switch.
Yeah, good point. Turning the valve off doesn’t prevent freeflows. It just minimizes the damage should one happen. So, should one happen, the gas loss is minimal.

Unlike a stage or deco bottle the need for a pony is more likely to be immediate and therefore should be turned on during the duration of the dive.

Unlike a stage or deco bottle the need for a pony is more likely to be immediate and therefore should be turned on during the duration of the dive.
that's my tough also.

As a strictly rec diver in the PNW, I added at 19cf back-mounted pony (119cf HP main tank) as soon as I got comfortable enough with my gear to deal with more hoses. It has a little peanut gauge so I can check pressure when I turn it on but not underwater; it is open throughout the dive but I have the Venturi on its 2nd stage turned all the way down and it has never free-flowed. I had to move 1-2 lbs. of lead in my weight harness to eliminate its tendency to make me rotate. I was pleasantly surprised that the added weight of the tank and regs didn't make it much worse wading into and out of the water.

Initially, I had removed my octo since I had the pony 2nd stage on a necklace, but I added it back after thinking about OOA situations where I might be sharing air with a panicked buddy. There will almost always be a lot more air in my main tank, so maintaining access for me seemed a good idea.

I really don't understand not diving with a redundant air supply - not a big hassle, however configured, and it addresses the thing generally most likely to kill you underwater.

Are you guys having free flows that often? I leave my pony open and i've never had a free flow ever.

Conshelfs from the 60s...

Are you guys having free flows that often? I leave my pony open and i've never had a free flow ever.

Conshelfs from the 60s...
never had any free flow on my pony of my main tank in about 200 dives.

Back
Top Bottom