Back Plate Drawing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are you going to bend it???

the K

Either with a steel break or heat. Or might cut it out of individual pieces and weld them together. My dad has been a welder for 30 plus years and can build just about anything so I am sure that if I give him a drawing and even few good pictures that he will be able to build one. He made a me single tank adaptor for my Transpac and am sure it will work fine.

Michael, use the websites to get the general shape and customize the size and shape to your body. Cut out a 1/4" plywood to the shape of the plate, and mount the webbing to the top center.

Getting the angles for the cut out for the straps can be worked out by cutting the outline of the Plate, with a round hole cut outs where the webbing needs to run, then have someone put a pencil through the loop of webbing and mark the angle on your plate. . . when you take these marks from the plywood to the steel or aluminum, your straps will follow a smooth line. When your basic plate is cut out, make two small bends with a press brake at about the kidney level. I did all this before these manufacturers started "molding" backpacks out of plastic. Good luck, and don't quit making plates till you've done a few variations, each one will be better than the last.

I posted a CAD image of a BP a while back. It had all the angles, dimensions, etc...

STA is alot different than a full plate. Why not just buy one? They are cheap. Check out Hammerhead and ebay.

Why make? Cause it can't be that hard and if I can save $50 that equals to 10 air fills. Plus it would be DIY projects. And if I make a few I can always sale them and make a few bucks. Only real problem would be they wouldn't be DIR.

Only real problem would be they wouldn't be DIR.

Why wouldn't it be DIR? I am really curious to hear your reasoning on this. How do you think it would be different from DIR and how would that be good or bad?

And why would it not being DIR be a problem for you?

What do you think DIR is?

JOKING.............Seems like everyone on SB worries if this or that is DIR and I really don't care.

OK just checking on you. From the statement you made above sounded like someone might have given you the cookies, but not the kool-aide! LOL Always make sure you get the Kool-aid. It is important to drink lots when you go diving!

Have you looked at Hammer Heads website? They started out as do it yourself guys
Hammerhead Scuba - Hammerhead II Backplate

Do you have a wing and the harness yet?

You mentioned saving money, how much are wanting to spend on the whole rig?

Back
Top Bottom