back plate storage pocket(s)??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhwestfall

Woof!
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
any thoughts on any side/bottom pockets or a "pad" style (perhaps to stow a lift bag) for DSS plates? Not aware if any other brands line up with your shape/pattern (especially as my plates are "long" and "x-long" patterns.

thanks

any thoughts on any side/bottom pockets or a "pad" style (perhaps to stow a lift bag) for DSS plates? Not aware if any other brands line up with your shape/pattern (especially as my plates are "long" and "x-long" patterns.

thanks

We do not offer any plate pockets or pads. Pads are not really required, and storage between the plate and the diver is:

1) Quite hard for many to access

2) DSS plates are by design quite flat. That moves the tank closer to the diver, but limits the available storage volume

My solution for lift bag storage, and what I recommend to DSS plate users is two bungee loops along the bottom edge of the plate. Roll up the lift bag and secure across the bottom of the plate. Make sure the crotch strap in under the lift bag.

This allows for easy deployment, and even permits restowing the bag (with a bit of practice :) )

~20" inches of bungess is pennies compared to plate pad / pockets that usually end up lonely in the gear box.....

Tobin

Bungees are very good for this as Tobin said. One thing I also tried was surgical tubing. It did work but after a while the rubber got gummy and weak. Almost lost a 100 lb. SubSalve quad bag.

Bungees are very good for this as Tobin said. One thing I also tried was surgical tubing. It did work but after a while the rubber got gummy and weak. Almost lost a 100 lb. SubSalve quad bag.

Never been a fan of natural rubber surgical tubing. It eventually reverts to goo. Silicone tubing is pretty neat when you can find it, and lasts well. Most current masks are silicone.

Tobin

We do not offer any plate pockets or pads. Pads are not really required, and storage between the plate and the diver is:

1) Quite hard for many to access

2) DSS plates are by design quite flat. That moves the tank closer to the diver, but limits the available storage volume

My solution for lift bag storage, and what I recommend to DSS plate users is two bungee loops along the bottom edge of the plate. Roll up the lift bag and secure across the bottom of the plate. Make sure the crotch strap in under the lift bag.

This allows for easy deployment, and even permits restowing the bag (with a bit of practice :) )

~20" inches of bungess is pennies compared to plate pad / pockets that usually end up lonely in the gear box.....

Tobin

Do you mind posting a photo of this?

Do you mind posting a photo of this?

I'm really slammed right now. Maybe in a few days. It's *really* simple. There are round ~.385" diameter holes on the bottom edge of DSS back plates. Run a piece of bungee through two of these holes, one on each side of the plate. Make the loop large enough for a rolled up lift bag. Tie the ends of the bungee together with a fishermans knot. Done. I usually use larger dia bungee, 1/4"

Tobin

It won't show up well in this picture, but there is a loop of bungie cord in the two (closest to center) bottom holes.
IMG_0541.jpg

Reactions: cib
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom