Trip Report Back to Bali (Villa Alba, Tulamben)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Searcaigh

Seahorse Wrangler
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Back to Villa Alba at Tulamben for the fifth time since 2017, and I'm happy to say that they have fully recovered post-COVID, and all staff are now full-time compared to my two trips there last year.

Villa Alba was also fully booked mainly due to the mid-Autumn festival and I was the only round eye there until @WetPup arrived during the latter half of my trip. My main buddy was the banana @outofofficebrb 🤣 (her description not mine).

This was also the first time I'd dived in September, and it remained dry throughout the trip but the water was the coldest I'd experienced (25C on two occasions) and I had to get a 2mm vest to supplement my 3mm. I had actually thought of packing the 5mm and regretted not doing so. The water temps were generally 26-27C.

Most sites had other divers with the exception of Bulakan, which is where we found all the sheep nudis, they appear to have migrated from Melasti completely, although the donut nudis are still there (and some other sites).

The first couple of days however were a bit rough with higher waves than normal, plus it was spring tides, which had the advantage of keeping the idiots away but they did appear when the weather calmed down, especially at Pura Gerombong, where I had to use my muck stick to push other photographers off the subjects I was photographing :mad:

We found frogfish daily at most sites, most of them tiny

Ornate Ghost pipefish daily too, but the best was a Rhinopias at Sidem on my first dive, and another on my second last day at the same dive site.

And of course there were loads of nudis

It was also a nice surprise to meet up with @hedonist222 at one of the dive sites during our SI.

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with @ScubaWithTurk but time ran away from me to make any arrangement to get down to Amed, but thanks for the advice regarding the dive shop at Denpasar to get hold of a 2mm vest, next year hopefully, but generally at the end of a dive day I was too knackered to think of leaving Villa Alba.

Two weeks flew by, but next time I plan to bring my dome port and wide angle lens as it's not all macro!

Lucky with the rhinopias
I dived Sidem at least 5 times but no luck
Most of the time a question of dive guides rather than luck. There have been so many rhinopias all along the year, especially in Sidem.
Tulamben dive guides share the locaton of the critters they find with their friends also dive guides in Tulamben, but they won't share it with external guides coming from Amed or elsewhere.

That's why it's always better to hire local guides where you're diving at : dive Tulamben with Tulamben dive guides, dive Padang Bai with Padang Bai dive guides, etc.

It seems like Villa Alba only has a FB page but no website. How do you guys book with them? Thank you!

I know the owner, and usually use WhatsApp
Hi Searcaigh, could you please check with her if she is ok to share her contact with me? Thank you.

I'm looking to visit in early december.

Hi Searcaigh, could you please check with her if she is ok to share her contact with me? Thank you.
Check your DM

Hi,
are the bumphead parrot fish still in the wreck of the Liberty. I have seen some reports that they are all gone after the pandemic due to harpooning. Is this true?

Hi,
are the bumphead parrot fish still in the wreck of the Liberty. I have seen some reports that they are all gone after the pandemic due to harpooning. Is this true?
They were not there in April and May this year.

Back
Top Bottom