Back to the Brac ... one week to go!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi SB,

I am excited about a return trip to the Brac. We leave one week from tomorrow. We were there in October 2008, the week before the Hurricane Paloma damaged Brac Reef Resort. It doesn't look like much has changed after being rebuilt, but what are some tips and/or suggestions?
  • What is new at the resort?
  • Is the food still good?
  • Favorite dive site?
  • Topside favorite to do?
  • How is the lion fish population control effort?
  • Favorite boat capt. or DM at Reef Divers? As resort staff turnover is common, everyone looks new except for the photographer.
  • Has anyone been in December? ... how was the water temp?
  • Any special suggestions as to what to bring for this time of year?
  • Is NIM still open?
  • Is the wood pier at Brac Reef back rebuilt?
Some of my favorites were ... diving the Tibbetts Wreck - day and night. Renting a car 1/2 day and seeing the bluffs. Buying a caymanite necklace from NIM. Watching the eagle rays come in to feed by the dive dock at night. Peter's Cave.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-SM

Hi SB,

I am excited about a return trip to the Brac. We leave one week from tomorrow. We were there in October 2008, the week before the Hurricane Paloma damaged Brac Reef Resort. It doesn't look like much has changed after being rebuilt, but what are some tips and/or suggestions?
  • What is new at the resort?
  • Is the food still good?
  • Favorite dive site?
  • Topside favorite to do?
  • How is the lion fish population control effort?
  • Favorite boat capt. or DM at Reef Divers? As resort staff turnover is common, everyone looks new except for the photographer.
  • Has anyone been in December? ... how was the water temp?
  • Any special suggestions as to what to bring for this time of year?
  • Is NIM still open?
  • Is the wood pier at Brac Reef back rebuilt?
Some of my favorites were ... diving the Tibbetts Wreck - day and night. Renting a car 1/2 day and seeing the bluffs. Buying a caymanite necklace from NIM. Watching the eagle rays come in to feed by the dive dock at night. Peter's Cave.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-SM

The Resort still fantastic. Visited in October, our 2nd trip Post Poloma. Food is Fantastic, Ian, BJ, and Barb are still there as DM's. Wood Cabana over the water was not rebuilt. Pool, Bar and facility are in excellent shape. A lot of the same service staff are still there (Dennis and Omar as servers). Yes Photo Ed is still there, and he'll still be trying to sell you another video:) Laundry facility is still there so you don't need to bring as much clothes. Mick is running an extremely effecient dive shop and its being overseen by "Morgan" the dog and "Chaos" the bird. Have fun, :42: Ken

Pls do a write up when you get back... I'm headed there in Jan.

Food is really great. Can't say what favorite dive site is but ask if they're diving any newly re-opened sites. When they close them to visits, the marine life gets to live without pressure so when it's re-opened, you get some great encounters.

As with many places, the lionfish are populating faster than the laws change. I understand the need to ensure safety and skills but it's silly to restrict divers who want to kill those bastards with handheld prong from doing so.

Ian and BJ are two of our favorites but Mick, Manny, and Jen are all fantastic DMs. That whole group really sets the standard for dive operations, year after year.

Water temps should be upper 70's/low 80's. I'm warm natured and never wear anything but swim trunks year-round in Cayman. Even if you're cold-natured, a rash guard should be sufficient.

NIM is open. Paloma wrecked Tenson's shop but he's back up. His daughter Simone has a lot of her works there too. I insist that we pack a lunch and go up there to spend the afternoon- if he's available. Tenson Scott is a cultural treasure and should not be missed by anyone visiting Brac. His whole family are wonderful people.

You should definitely check out the Friday night BBQ at the resort. Perry La Ness and the Jammers play some really great tunes- not the predictable Buffett-like stuff you expect but some old B-sides and more obscure music. Perry is another one of Brac's treasures, even if he's a Californian! :wink: If you get to meet him, his wife Lena and their son Dakota, you will be doing yourself a huge favor. They are wonderful people and spending time with them is guaranteed to bring happiness to your soul.

Thanks for all feedback ... Back to the Brac report to follow. :)

I'll be there from Jan 14th to the 21st... Maybe you can give me the lowdown once I get there?

No problem. I have been diving the Brac and Little for the past 7 years. Heaven on earth. Look forward to meeting you then. I'll be the red headed guy decked out in Dive Dawg garb.

By the way, love the avatar.

Live deep, dive long.
Dive Dawg.net

Back
Top Bottom