Back to TWICs for a second....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently lost my wallet, but with a hometown issuing center, getting a replacement was easy, though still two visits--ordering, and pickup.

It actually did me some good. Very late for a plane at Hobby, I was standing in security line juggling stuff, with TWIC in my hand. TSA guy came up to me and said, "sir, follow me". At first I thought it might be something bad, but he led me to a nobody-except-TSA-lady place, and I was through fast and made my plane with the standbys, by a good three minutes.

Woo hoo.. I'd been going out an back on a ship in Galveston all week and hadn't needed it there. TWIC is a funny thing...

I am up for renewal and the way I understand it if you do NOT need a vessel security plan you do NOT need a TWIC...BUT..theres always a BUT..the coastguard is using the screening process attached to TSA and The TWIC to vet applicants and renewals for their MMC...SOOOO...if you don't have a current TWIC they say your renewal or application MAY be delayed...read between the lines...they cut services within the coastguard outsourced the security clearance process and if you don't have your TWIC they'll delay your application until they "clear you"

probably worth the fee to make my MMC renewal easier

In the month since my post above, the TWIC has gotten me waved around several long security lines at the airport a couple more times, and got me on flights I might have not made otherwise.

So it has sort of paid for itself... and around the waterfront you need it. I needed it to get on a ship that was using a steel scrapyard dock as a repair lay berth, in Houston. Why, pray tell, are there any terrorist-target-worthy "secure areas" in a scrapyard, requiring a security plan? If they take it over, are they going to terrorize us with steel pieces and red dust? Or attack us with acetylene torches? Never mind, don't ask...

My new TWIC card is ready...took less than 2 weeks. Its in Key West---I suppose its time for the Duval Crawl.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom