Back-up SPG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markrovner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Being a gadget geek, I bought myself an air-integrated wrist mounted computer -- which I love -- except the day it failed. I thought the coolest thing about the AI computer was that it meant one less hose, but now I am thinking a back-up SPG would not be bad thing to have.

What's the standard practice among folk with AI computers -- do you have a back-up hose, or a back-up reg, or just dpend on that transmitter to do its job?

yeah i have the oceanic atom AI and if i loose the signal i just move it closer. i don't use it on deep dives though with twins then i use a standard spg.

How much air I have left is too important for me to trust a wireless link. I still use a standard SPG.

I added a SPG & hose to my bag about a month ago,
I dove it today 'cause my vt pro did not make it back from Oceanic yet.
It locked on all 8,s on all lines, after downloading the dives on 10/10.
Today's dive was #50!!!

Dave

I, and others I dive with, have had similar problems with our wireless air-integrated comps- occasionally they lose signal. I've had it happen a few times, above and below the surface.

It didn't take long for me to go get a small SPG- I've even recently seen some folks advertise a relatively inexpensive higher-end SPG on Scubaboard.

Mine has come in handy once so far, and it's nice to have when I do my test-breathing before a dive (to see if the cylinder is only partly open) and the Smart-TEC hasn't sync'd up yet.

I keep mine clipped to the bottom-right hand side of my BC, I've also seen them kept on a retractor on the BC Vest.

It feels like a good investment once you need it while on a vacation trip and would have missed one or more dives without it :)

I feel that my life is too valuable to trust to a peice of plastic with a circuit board and battery I have a wrist mount computer and full manual console this way I know my depth pressure and heading even if my comp fails. Redundancy is the best insurance you can have.

Quaack:
I added a SPG & hose to my bag about a month ago,
I dove it today 'cause my vt pro did not make it back from Oceanic yet.

Dave

Funny thing -- my good computer gone bad is also a VT pro, also mia at oceanic. Congrats on #50 -- I am hoping to get there some time next year!

m

My suunto D9 has never failed me. I have used it exclusively up until I started tech training, at which time I added a small spg with a 24" hose on the left post 1st stage. This gives me some redundancy as well as still tracking air consumption during my dives.

Back
Top Bottom