Back-Up Torches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've lost one going through a restriction before.
I guess when those scouts get a bunch of dives on them the glue decides it's had enough diving and commits suicide

You just don't know your own strength! :D
I'm glad Halcyon is taking care of his for you. I've seen it happen on one or two of them before.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: Actually, yes I do and so I am surprised it even thought about coming off. It had to have been worn out!

I've never actually seen it happen before, but I have found the little round rubber rings floating around on the surface once or twice. "Who's got a H backup light?" "No one? I guess it's been floating around a while."

Tom

\Also, does a torch have to be twist on/off or are magnetic (i.e. does not pierce case) slider switches acceptable under DIR?

I would venture to guess that twist on/off is required and that magnetic slider switches would not.

The Aluminum housing I'd personally put in the "if Delrin ain't broke, don't try to fix it" folder.

I use 2 LED photon torpedos and they've proven to have sufficiently tight beams to be useful in cave. The Halcyon LED proved to be kind of a bit useless when it got washed out by 21W HIDs. Lynne had a backup LED that had a super bright spot, but I don't recall what it was...

I also asked my instructor what was his take on the LED versus halogen on backup lights and he explained that he carried one of each. The LED while being brighter and whiter, was a non-focused type of beam good for illuminating. The halogen was not as bright but with a focused beam, ideal for signaling.

I wonder if your instructor is Cave1 or 2? In my cave 1 class a few years ago we actually decided the LED was so much better than the diver on <only> a halogen backup that halogen should go in front. Halogen is like a weak candle next to even the cheapest LED modules today. The LED also lasts much much longer.

I have the UK modules which were the only aftermarket modules available for awhile. Same ones Chuck uses in the Photon torpedos (an excellent backup, better than the Scouts). Nowadays any 1w or 3w LED will be vastly better than halogen.

ps the rubber bezels on backups can be reattached with seam grip.

the bezel is a warranty issue
they will take care of it for you. seems to happen to them all when they get a little older
and I agree one of each is the answer. but I would go to the xenon scout first, LED second

So an update to my Scout. Today I got a package from Halcyon with a new bezel/lens assembly. No charge from Halcyon! Less than a week; not bad, eh?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom