Back up your comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks mid. I just realized I have a lot of pics and would hate to lose them! Will do that this weekend.

i wish i wouldn't have the same problem mid...

i use separate hard drives for the os/programs (120Gb) and data (80Gb) and i have 2 more on a raid controller (40Gb each) which are mirrored for those treasured files :D

I have my system drive mirrored, two drives where one copies to the other. If I lose one, it still works. I keep important stuff on there, I have an unimportant data drive for things like big apps/games to save the important space for the important files. Then, because home burned CDs/DVDs don't last nearly as long as commercial ones, I have some rewritable DVDs I use for backing up.

Don't depend on home burned CDs to protect your data long term. If it's data you'll want years down the road, reburn it every year or two.

Halthron:
Then, because home burned CDs/DVDs don't last nearly as long as commercial ones, I have some rewritable DVDs I use for backing up.

Don't depend on home burned CDs to protect your data long term. If it's data you'll want years down the road, reburn it every year or two.

i very much agree with eric here...don't be too sure of those disks. i've written quite a number that failed already.

Mid, the same thing happened to me two weeks ago. Mac G5, less than a year old and one of my HDs fries. The stupid thing is I had 2-250GB drives on this machine and still didn't back up everything. I just started to take U/W pictures last November and had them all on DVD and on my laptop but I did lose all the edited ones I had as well as a lot of other files. It is possible to get the info back but the companies who do this charge at least $1,000. I've learned my lesson too, the hard way...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom