Backing up photos while on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Winters:
Ouch to lugging a laptop, but if that's how you have to do, then do it. Overseas power might be a problem - I killed a nice UK 1200R light in Fiji due to lousy power even though I had the right adapter and transformer. If I killed a laptop that way, I'd really feel bad.
Probably on a liveaboard, the power will be ok though.
..snip..

Power on a liveaboard is rarely as stable as power on the mainland.
I've been on liveaboards where the generators were so irregular that the crew was changing all the light bulbs every 2 days, ie 115V was really about 140V.
Fortunately most modern equipment, like laptops & many cell pnone chargers use full-range switched mode power supplies which don't really care as long as the voltage is somewhere in the range 100-240V.
The problems start when you have cheaper stuff with simple transformer type chargers or power supplies. Those are rarely very tolerant. They were often designed for 115+/-10% only.

Well, I'm a litte out of date, still using the Oly 4040, but the system seems to work.
Max card is a SM256, in Super Hi format I get apx 46 shots per card. Just about right for one dive.
I then download the card into the "Wallet" heheh.. I know, I know, old stuff, but I did find someone who works on them. The best reference to me that they've downloaded is the file size indicator.

I have about 10-15 SM cards and swap them out after each dive along with batteries.
I have planned on being able to dive 2 full days (3 dives for me) with a fresh exchange of batteries and cards after each dive, along with a one day backup.
Total 3 days of 3 dives a day = 9+ sets of batteries and cards.

I recharge, download at night and rotate the cards as needed. So on the forth day, I'll delete the 1st series of photos on the dive #1 in preparation for dive #10 (3-3-3-).
This allows some coverage backup on the Wallet and the past 8 dives as the images are still on the SM cards.

I carry the cards and batteries in their little plastic holders in 2 ziploc plastic baggies (gel pak) and everything in those padded cooler bags - side pocket (mentioned many times on this board - I like them for the smaller camera sets)

So, a little out dated and limited by the camera's cards, can't see them out side of the camera's viewer, but seems to work so far. Batteries for the wallet are charged as needed. I bring 2 chargers for the camera and one for the Wallet (special battery pack)

Having said all that and seeing the new Epson P2000 and the other new ones, I believe I'd still Opt for a laptop with PSE 3.0 on it... along with cd/dvd burner??, but then that's getting a little too much in the way of "Beer Time"... ya gotta enjoy the trip eh??

So, Laptop it would be with PSE 3.0... my first choice and then a P2000 or whatever works best along those lines.

Hope that helps...

For the past several years, I have been dragging the computer with me. As many of you have said, the computer allows for daily backup and review of your shots. It is nice to be able to put on slideshows every night and do some editing if needed. I also have enough cards to last me several days, but these will probably fill up quickly since I will be shooting above water as well. Reviewing photos and trying to determine "keepers" on the small LCD is virtually impossible so the most likely option is the laptop or some sort of external backup drive (with a screen).

RICHinNC, alcina, I'll looking into the devices you are using. Thanks for the info. :wink:
Derrick

I am so use to carrying a laptop I might feel naked without it. I like being able to look at the photos or video on something other thn the little LCD screen on the camera.

On my last vacation I brought along a hard drive and an external DVD burner. After each dive I did a quick edit of the video I had shot on that morning's or afternoon's dive. It was kinda fun.

Rick
Bonaire 2005 Clips

I shoot a LOT ( my signature line will explain why ) and due to the long distance I usually travel combined with going through some questionable airports, I use the following back-up procedures

anyway, I take a very light laptop ( toshiba ) and 3 external HDD, 2 - 80GB USB 2.0 2.5" and one 250GB USB 2.0 3.5". I make triple backups of everything every night.

for safety, I take 4, 2GB cards I use a new card on every dive. If I flood the rig, I will only lose the shots from that dive (usually not an issue, hahaha ).

I never try to sort or edit on a trip and I usually only review a few for exposure each evening or during lunch after the diving.

The drives and cards always go with me on the plane, two drives and the cards in one medium pelican case, and the 3rd drive with my camera body and lenses. that way, even if I get one bag yanked when using a small piston pounder plane, I can travel worry free.

CB

I just picked up a Wolverine external HD, 40gb, that takes all the different memory cards. This is useful to me as I have three cameras that each take a different card, CF, SD, and XD. It just copies everything from the card and plugs into my home computer via USB. Also very small and light and fits in my camera carrying case.

I'm leaving for St Maarten Thursday and will be spending a week on the Caribbean Explorer II. I'll let you know how the system works out once I get back and load up the pics.

The concensus seems to be that whatever you use, back it up. I've looked into the external (no PC required) HD that several of you have mentioned and they look promising. I've been told that our trip to Turks will have a leg with a 44lb restriction so that is what prompted this thread. With my gear, and the pelican case containing the camera and strobe, I bet it's pretty close.

Chris, do you think I can find anyone to buy my crappy photos (I have tons!!)? haha. I understand your need to backup your backups and my worry is that if something unforseen happened, I may lose that "keeper,", once in a lifetime shot. It's probably wishful thinking but momentos of my trip would be nice.

Thanks for all your suggestions about the external backup drives. I'll PM you if I have further questions.

Derrick

Back from a great week of diving! Like there is such a thing as a bad week of diving. I used the Wolverine 40GB HD to save my photos.

After a days worth of diving, I downloaded my pictures to the HD and put the card back in the camera and reformatted. Always had plenty of space on the memory card. The ext HD worked fine. Someone else on the boat had a laptop that let me plug in and we were able of copy and view the pictures on the HD easily. Over half were trash but this was my first time taking u/w pictures. I got better as the week went on. Once I got home, plugged into my home computer and transfered everything over and then deleted all the files from the HD.

Overall, worked really great for me. It's very light and compact. Also very easy to use. At $200 this was a very inexpensive solution.

Dan's Diving Pics

I use the Roadstor portable CD burner. You plug your memory card in and burn a CD. To review, the unit has a TV cable that allows you to view/verify your photos right on the TV screen. I can carry a whole lot of CD's for the size weight of a laptop. Most liveaboards have TV's available. On one of my trips to PNG, a friend had a laptop fry due to the current.

Back
Top Bottom