Backpacker/Diver headed to Coz: Psych-out Prevention Requested!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTUSC

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello SB'ers!

This is my first-ever SB posting! I've been perusing through SB forum for valuable knowledge before heading to a dive destination for a couple years (thanks!), but felt the need to post my own thread for some direct answers to my concerns/questions. Thank you all in advance.

I'm a backpacker and an AOW diver with almost 100 dives from mostly around South East Asia. I'm not a cruise-shipper nor an all-inclusive person; I love diving, but am always, ALWAYS on a budget.

I'm headed over the Cozumel next Sunday for a last minute backpacking/diving trip (Cozumel --> Down Yucatan Peninsula --> Caye Caulker, Belize). From my initial research, Cozumel has 100+ Dive Ops?

I would LOVE some recommendations on SAFE, REPUTABLE, and CHEAP dive ops in Cozumel that caters toward a backpacker like myself. I've been overwhelming by the process of finding potential dive op that fits what I'm hoping for. And when I think I found one, I end up finding all sorts of scary posts on the dive op and psyching myself out (i.e. glass bottom boat turned dive boat sinking, drug dealing amongst DMs, etc.). Based on dive op websites alone and prices that are advertised or even rudimentary reviews from TripAdvisor, I can't gauge on the quality/safety of the dive ops. Plus reading recent posts about various divers missing/passing in Cozumel is adding to my heightened concern.

I'm planning on staying somewhere near the Centro (backpacker! no accomodations set!) and am hoping for a dive op that I can reach by walking or biking (by the way, safe to bike in Cozumel along the shore?). I hope budget doesn't mean: neglectful/overworked DMs, short bottom times, large diver to DM ratio, faulty equipment, etc. Hoping for 4-5 days of 2 tank diving...

Please help me find my dive op!!

Thanks so much~

Here is a hotel map

Cozumel hotel directory

I am assuming that you want to stay downtown. Mary Carmen and Pepita used to be around $38 USD a night Also check Safari Inn, Bahia etc. I do not know the cheapest place to stay.

You have the Aqua Safari and Aldora piers downtown. Aqua Safari uses their pier and Aldora, Blue XTSea and possibly others use the Aldora pier.

Last edited:
Opinions will vary widely. I used the dive shop now called Opal's Dream last August and had a very good experience. Their price was good ($65 for 2 tank boat dive, I think) and they would bargain for a multi-day package deal (granted, I was there in the low season so they were hungry for divers). They had had a small, fast boat that never had more than 6 divers on board. The DMs were knowledgeable and helpful, but probably not overly intent on making sure you keep yourself safe. Maybe not the best op for newbies (although maybe they would be if they needed to), but you probably have enough dives under your belt to take care of yourself.

Cheap does not equal Aldora or BXT......

You are going to have a group of ops at the $65 per 2 tank dives, then your upper end ops at $65 and up to $85-90 per 2 tank.

Optimally you want to stay downtown, and use a dive op that leaves from downtown to eliminate taking a taxi to the marina or an ops physical location.

If you find an op less than $65'ish, be wary.....

i used to be in your shoes long ago. first let me say that despite what you may have read, you are going to love coz.
when i went on a budget i stayed at the aqua safari inn ($40 per nt large clean ac room). they are also a dive op but i never dove with them. the inn is across the street from the water and 2 blocks from the aldora pier which many ops use.
you will be able to eat very well for remarkably low prices. i am no longer on a budget but still enjoy some inexpensive places. los palmas which is a doable walk from the the inn best fits what you are looking for imo. el moro is very nice but a taxi ride. there is a large party with homemade foods on the square almost every sunday eve. if you are not up for a walk, chilangos a little south of downtown is a nice experience.
there is one thing i would change if i could relive those days of traveling cheap. we go there for the diving. i would not try to skimp on that. after trying number of ops over the decades i have become a huge fan of aldora. you will pay more but may spend less per minute of diving with them.

Although this is only my first trip to Cozumel, I would definitely suggest going with a dive op that does smaller groups...now cattle boats. We've seen those out and about and I'm just baffled how a person can have a good dive with so many people. We've done all our dives with Dive with Martin and have loved every minute of it. They were recommended to us by a lovely couple we met at the airport. We've enjoyed our dives with Lazaro best and Orlando was also recommended to us. Enjoy your trip. You're going to love it!

I recommend AlexScuba. He is also a small boat owner operator ( who formerly worked for a large cattle call operation). He charges $75 for a two tank dive but lets you get an hour out of your dive(air allowing). He will keep you SAFE (another group lost a diver less than a month ago) and feed you during the interval between dives. I like to stay out at the Reef Club (closer to the dive sites and they pick up at the pier there) but some people prefer to stay in town. (Reef is an all inclusive). He picks up at several piers. YOu can make a reservation online at his website.
Have a great trip! You will love it there!!

I heard from a resident and former DM (whose husband instructed her and some of her staff back when they were first starting up) that Roberta's Eco Divers caters to backpackers/Europeans. I know absolutely nothing about the op (price, safety, where they leave from, pickup etc. etc.) and it doesn't get many mentions here. However they are located downtown just down the street from the youth hostel (where a lot of young back-packers stay).

P.S. I ride my bicycle all over Cozumel but try to avoid Melgar (the waterfront) when it is busy with cruise ship and taxi traffic. Watch out for truck and taxi drivers!

Last edited:
What does being a backpacker have to do with anything? Does that mean you only stay in places where you have community showers/bathrooms?

How does it impact your diving needs?

If all that means is that you have a limited budget, it would help to know your limits for lodging/diving.

I suspect it is budget related but I expect that backpackers also like to hang with people with similar interests. That way they can exchange information about where to go, what to do, what worked, what didn't etc. etc.

Oh, to be young again!

What does being a backpacker have to do with anything? Does that mean you only stay in places where you have community showers/bathrooms?

How does it impact your diving needs?

If all that means is that you have a limited budget, it would help to know your limits for lodging/diving.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom