Backplate changes / Wing & gear cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

enduser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a good deal on a DSS rig. Large backplate, 30lb LCD wing that should arrive sometime this week.

Couple of questions. The plate is a DSS large but looks a bit different than the current plates. Mainly their is 4 slits in the center 2 per side. I am not concerned more curious as what the slits were meant for? Also does it change the overall weight of the plate? And if so what is the weight?

One last question on the wing. I'm a bit OCD about cleaning my gear and this one looks to be a bit dusty (hopefully not to faded). Any recommendations for cleaning the inside and outside of the wing - and even the webbing (I warned you about the OCD)

Not the best pics of the unit attached. I can't decode how much is dirt and how much is poor lighting and pictures.

Super excited to get this and try it out! This will be my first BPW experience so we will see how this goes.

uty9asa5.jpg
ubejuge7.jpg

no idea on the plate changes, but as far as cleaning goes you if you are careful and remove the inner bladder and obviously the dump and inflator valves, you can run the wing cover through the washing machine assuming you don't have an agitator in the middle. Otherwise, you can put it in the tub, take a nylon dishwashing brush and some dawn soap and scrub it. It's just nylon, so no chlorine and you're pretty much fine.
That being said, that does look like bleaching from a few too many dunks in a pool without rinsing it completely

Th four slots on body of the plate are mounting independent "Twins" We no longer include this feature as almost no one understood how or why this is coomplished and fewer ever actually did it. The impact on over all weight is trivial.

As I have repeatedly stated there is zero need to disassemble your wing to clean it. Doing so requires special tools and some experience with the fittings.

Rinse out the bladder with fresh water and blow as much of the water as practical. You will *never* get it all out and that's ok, there are millions of wings and bc's all over the planet with a bit of moisture in them.

Just soak your wing in some fresh water, and hang it up to dry in the shade.

Tobin

Got it today and it doesn't have any of the fading just dusty. I think the harness has been cut just short ... But otherwise happy with the purchase. Thank you again for the help.

muhybaze.jpg

epuhu6a9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom