Backplate Mods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Starboard Tack

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey folks, I have a Draeger Dolphin and would like to convert it to use a standard Halcyon Stainless backplate. Do any of you know of a manufactured rig that will let me do that? I would like the mod to look halfway decent. Some plumbers tape welded to threaded posts isn't what I am after.

Thanks.

There are several companies in the US and Europe that offer frames for backplate conversions of Dolphins. Have a look at Ron Micjan's (he's on SB on occason I believe) TMI Shop. He offers a backplate conversion kit.

Another one comes from Enrique Alvarez, excellent workmanship and well thought out. It adds steel support for sidemounted tanks or cannisters, but is rather expensive. Can be found here.

Another option that's quite popular in Europe is from V4Tec in Germany.
Their adapter falls in between Ron's and Enrique's regarding the price, though shipping etc. probably takes it out of the race for US customers.

caveseeker7:
There are several companies in the US and Europe that offer frames for backplate conversions of Dolphins. Have a look at Ron Micjan's (he's on SB on occason I believe) TMI Shop. He offers a backplate conversion kit.

Another one comes from Enrique Alvarez, excellent workmanship and well thought out. It adds steel support for sidemounted tanks or cannisters, but is rather expensive. Can be found here.

Another option that's quite popular in Europe is from V4Tec in Germany.
Their adapter falls in between Ron's and Enrique's regarding the price, though shipping etc. probably takes it out of the race for US customers.
Thanks Caveseeker. I am just getting into rebreathers and am having a hard time with the @$#%*&^%$ metering block in the middle of my back! I am a pretty big guy, so there isn't a whole lot of adjustment left through the shoulders to allow for a looser fit. I am hoping a backplate assembly will at least redistribute the pressure.

Back
Top Bottom