Backscatter +10 Close Focus Lens and GoPro 7 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I have a Backscatter +10 close focus lens that I used with my GoPro 3. I found that the best distance for closeups with the 3 was about 25 cm or about ten inches.

But, after doing a bunch of tests, both under water and out of the water, I find that the best focus with the +10 and the 7 Black in the Super Suit is about 5 cm or about two inches.

Can that be right? Anyone else notice such a huge difference in optimal distance?

I've attached a couple of photos. Both were taken in wide mode; one with the +10 lens and one without.

Similar results using linear mode and under water.

nolens.jpg

lens.jpg

have you tried in the narrow mode? I believe using the +10 lense and narrow mode is what you want for macro...the wide mode stretches the picture...Also I learned on the 7 Go Pro is that you cannot change to narrow view if you have the camera in an underwater housing and cannot access the touch screen. I was hoping Go Pro was going to change this feature but I confirmed yesterday it has not so I will stay with my Go Pro 5 that I can adjust to any mode when using the underwater housing.

the gopro 7 no longer has the narrow FOV and from what I can see in the manuals for the 7 or the 5 camera the description for linear FOV is exactly the same. Based on that I would not consider linear mode the same as narrow. They are different with narrow focused on the center of the shot. I have never shot macro with the backscatter lense in anything but narrow FOV so I cannot tell you what difference there is for the focus length.

Here are some underwater test shots with the Backscatter +10 lens on a GoPro 7 Black.

To me, it appears that the best focus is at 10 or 15 cm.

When I ran the same test with my GoPro 3, the best focus was at 25cm.

Is the lens on the 7 that much different from the lens on the 3?

compare.jpg

yes I agree the 10cm looks the best and for macro this would look great...did you receive a "distance stick" with the backscatter lense? I didn't see a picture on their website but I received a stick for the macro lens and it was notched to help you get a feel for the proper focal length from the + lens to the subject. when I bought the filter and lens package from them bout 2 years ago the GP 5 was the most recent camera by GoPro... that said I dont know if backscatter has kept revising that tool. I will snap a picture of it tonite and post it later. The 10 cm equals just under 4 inches and that sounds very close to where I would be on the series 5 camera.

I did get a measuring stick when I bought the +10 At that time, the stick only had notches for the 3 and 4.

The Backscatter website says this about the +10:

The Flip +10 Close-Up works great for shooting subjects sized from soccer balls down to golf balls that are roughly 8-12 inches from the camera.

FLIP FILTERS 55mm +10 Close-Up Lens for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7
Clearly, they haven't revised that in some time.

I did get a measuring stick when I bought the +10 At that time, the stick only had notches for the 3 and 4.

The Backscatter website says this about the +10:

The Flip +10 Close-Up works great for shooting subjects sized from soccer balls down to golf balls that are roughly 8-12 inches from the camera.

FLIP FILTERS 55mm +10 Close-Up Lens for GoPro 3, 3+, 4, 5, 6, 7
Clearly, they haven't revised that in some time.

I have the +15 lens sorry about that...the +15 put the focal length very close to like 3-4 inches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom