Backup Gauge when using Air Integrated Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwscottiv

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I'm just getting into diving and I'm going to have a Suunto Cobra on my rig... I was just thinking it might be a good idea to have a backup gauge in case something happens (like if the battery dies). I know I can just stay with my buddy and probably be safe, but I was thinking it might be nice to be a little more independent. Also, if you do think I should have a backup, do you think it should be a depth gauge AND tank pressure gauge, or just the tank pressure gauge?

I dive with the a non-integrated Vyper wrist mount, so I have a tank pressure gauge, and depth gauge console, if you are sold on a backup, are you sold on the Cobra console, you could go with a wrist mount air-integrated trasmitted computer and simply use the high-pressure post for a conventional gauge console

I dive with the a non-integrated Vyper wrist mount, so I have a tank pressure gauge, and depth gauge console, if you are sold on a backup, are you sold on the Cobra console, you could go with a wrist mount air-integrated trasmitted computer and simply use the high-pressure post for a conventional gauge console

Well I would be using the wireless as the primary... IF I had the money to throw down for a wireless system... Which I don't.

I was trying to save you an extra hose,Your cobra needs a high pressure port on the first stage, a back up tank pressure gauge would need its own high pressure port, thus needing an extra hose. The Cobra is air integrated, my vyper is not thus I have the backup already with my Console. Ever thought about a Hyperaqualand watch that could measure depth?

I was trying to save you an extra hose,Your cobra needs a high pressure port on the first stage, a back up tank pressure gauge would need its own high pressure port, thus needing an extra hose. The Cobra is air integrated, my vyper is not thus I have the backup already with my Console. Ever thought about a Hyperaqualand watch that could measure depth?

I did check that out and it seems pretty cool, but it still doesn't handle the issue of not knowing my tank pressure if my Cobra fails...

I was the same way when I was trying to decide between air integration vs stand alone computer, I went with the Vyper, thinking that the analogue gauges were more trustworthy, however I know alot of divers with the Cobra and have never heard anything bad about it

I dive with 2 computers every dive, but still carry a backup analog gauge. I've got an AI SmartCom as my primary, and a wrist mounted Alladin Prime as my backup.

I decided I need the backup after my SmartCom failed on me after 4 dives. I use the prime as my backup, but as it's not AI, I needed a secondary pressure gauge. I haven't had to use it yet, but it's nice to know that if the SmartCom does fail again, I've got my dive profile on my wrist, along with air pressure on my gauge so I can complete the dive, instead of just aborting.

I know that streamlining is all the rage, but I've heard about too many AI comps failing, that I think this gives me good redundancy.

I dive with 2 computers every dive, but still carry a backup analog gauge. I've got an AI SmartCom as my primary, and a wrist mounted Alladin Prime as my backup.

I decided I need the backup after my SmartCom failed on me after 4 dives. I use the prime as my backup, but as it's not AI, I needed a secondary pressure gauge. I haven't had to use it yet, but it's nice to know that if the SmartCom does fail again, I've got my dive profile on my wrist, along with air pressure on my gauge so I can complete the dive, instead of just aborting.

I know that streamlining is all the rage, but I've heard about too many AI comps failing, that I think this gives me good redundancy.

Well I was hoping that by going with one of the latest top of the line non-wireless computers I would not have to deal with it failing very often... Does anyone know how often Cobras have problems?

I think I'm definitely going to have a backup non-digital gauge set. If I'm on top of things I shouldn't have a problem with needing to abort my dive if the computer fails.

I use an AI Vytec, but still have the analog SPG and depth meter on my first stage. It came in handy at least once when someone opened my tank valve on the boat out while the computer was to far away to sync. When we were over the drop zone, there was no time to re-sync (current, everyone else ready, masks fitted, etc) but I just dove non-AI that one dive :)

I haven't seen any stats on air integrated computer failures although I doubt they are high. Technology is advancing and I would think the AI computers are pretty sound instruments. Standard pressure gauges can fail as well, and have. There are going to be many differing opinions as to the pros and cons...the major con being your question. Your question also addresses the issue of redundancy...Do you use a backup, which will require 2 HP ports on our first stage and 2 hoses. So you have another hose to deal with. If it was me I would go with one or the other...Again, it's going to be a matter of personal preference...and what you trust...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom