Backup Gauges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Transmitters are nice. They make good handles for dive boat staff that don't know or care what they are and use them to sling your gear around. I would never own one. I dive with an spg, a computer, and a back up bottom timer. And I know my rate of consumption. The gauge is just a confirmation device.

If you plan on getting into tech your tech instructor is liable to tell you to get rid of the transmitter and put a gauge on with a hose. If you plan on doing wreck penetration dives that expensive transmitter will make a dandy paperweight on your desk.

I dive a wisdom air intergrated comp I have a watch and an analog depth gauge as back up.If my comp fails and I had recently looked at my tank pressure then by doing my SAC rate on my slate I would roughly know my air supply,however the dive would be scrubbed anyway.I do carry a spare spg just to recover the rest of the days diving.Keep in mind that in order to keep diving the rest of the day after a failed comp you MUST have kept up with all of your profile info manually (thru the use of dive tables) and exact times,otherwise you couldnt be sure of your residual nitrogen loading.I hope this helps.

I am using a single spg + simple computer + bottom timer on rec dive. Replace the computer with another timer on tec dive.

What hasn't been mentioned is a pressure gauge makes setup super easy for whoever is putting your kit together. They don't have to lick their fingers and turn on the computer, nor search around for it. Instead they just look at the gauge, and move on to the next task.

Brass and glass on a 24" hose with a bolt snap tied on with cave line. Stays near your body, and if for some reason you need to cut it off the cave line will allow you to, unlike zip ties that are hard to cut.

As for the type of diving right now, just easy sightseeing dives. This fall I plan to take the advanced classes. Hopefully I'll get to 40 or more before that time comes. In the coming years I hope to do deeper dives, perhaps wreck penetrations - but I don't see caving in my future. I'm trying to put together gear I'm not likely to want to replace anytime soon.

That is overhead environment. If that is your long term goal, IMO, I would totally ditch the hoseless AI. Get a computer that is easier to read, recreation nitrox compatible, and also has a gauge mode. For the money you are looking to spend in Luna, you are looking at some very good OLED wrist unit. For SPG, brass spg on 24" HP hose. This will be very streamline especially if you are using bp/w. If you are using conventional regulator hose and octo setup, your reg hoses will be your bottle neck for being streamline.

Thanks, everyone - I really appreciate all the information!

IMHO there is no need for a backup SPG in rec diving. Get into a habbit of checking your pressure every 5 mins and calculate your consumption. Then you will fairly precisely know overtime how much air is left in your tank. Given you also maintain suffecient reserve using rock botom calculation at no point of your dive you should be in a situation that if your AI fails you cannot descend safely to the surface.
If your AI fails the dive is over.
Do not waste money on button gauges - they are very inacurate just looking at the face you can see that the accuracy of that gauge is +- 500psi. Your calculations should be way more precise.

Let me start by saying, I'm a new diver. I've got 18 on my log and I'm not making assumptions but rather trying to gather input on the right way to go.

So I went and bought an expensive hoseless air integrated computer last weekend (Galileo Luna). I haven't had it in the water yet as my next dive is this coming weekend. I had hoped to eliminate the gauge hose with it. The shop that certified me provided a reg setup with only a wisdom 2 - I wanted to go the extra step and eliminate that hose. However... I've seen lots of posts saying this is a bad idea, most recently this one.

My question is what's the best I can do to minimize clutter and still dive safely? Will a mini pressure gauge bungeed to the tank and a small clip on spg fit the bill? Is there a less cluttering option?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning to get a bp/w this week before my next dive (also in an attempt to minimize clutter). I doubt that's a factor here, but just in case; that's what I'll be using.

As for the type of diving right now, just easy sightseeing dives. This fall I plan to take the advanced classes. Hopefully I'll get to 40 or more before that time comes. In the coming years I hope to do deeper dives, perhaps wreck penetrations - but I don't see caving in my future. I'm trying to put together gear I'm not likely to want to replace anytime soon.

I have been doing dive plans using the NAUI air (or nitrox) tables. I'll continue to do that, although if I follow the computer it's my understanding it won't work out exactly the same as my plan.

You are not reducing clutter, you are into purchasing shiny new expensive bits that will inevitably add to the clutter. Do not just buy stuff, look at what other experienced divers use who do the type of diving you are interested in use and then build your equipment/rig to suit that purpose.

Transmitters and all that, whatever, sounds like a lot of clutter.

N

Notice the gauge clipped to the harness in the right side of the picture, this may answer your question.
hosekit_single_eclipse01.jpg

Let me start by saying, I'm a new diver. I've got 18 on my log and I'm not making assumptions but rather trying to gather input on the right way to go.

So I went and bought an expensive hoseless air integrated computer last weekend (Galileo Luna). I haven't had it in the water yet as my next dive is this coming weekend. I had hoped to eliminate the gauge hose with it. The shop that certified me provided a reg setup with only a wisdom 2 - I wanted to go the extra step and eliminate that hose. However... I've seen lots of posts saying this is a bad idea, most recently this one.

My question is what's the best I can do to minimize clutter and still dive safely? Will a mini pressure gauge bungeed to the tank and a small clip on spg fit the bill? Is there a less cluttering option?

I haven't bought it yet, but I'm planning to get a bp/w this week before my next dive (also in an attempt to minimize clutter). I doubt that's a factor here, but just in case; that's what I'll be using.

I have been doing dive plans using the NAUI air (or nitrox) tables. I'll continue to do that, although if I follow the computer it's my understanding it won't work out exactly the same as my plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom