Backup reg - Bungee Necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frog

Reaction score
Hello divers.

"The backup must be instantly accessible. We hang it around the neck on surgical tubing or bungee which is held on by the tie wrap that holds the mouthpiece to the regulator. It must be up close to the neck in order to minimize the
venturi effect on the reg, and to provide a strap to hold that reg tightly in the mouth when necessary"
George Irvine

Correct me if am am wrong (please do)but isnt what george says above , slightly contradictary. He says that the bungee or surgical tubing is attached to the same tie wrap that secures the mouthpiece to the reg. Then he go's on to say that the neklace must be high up the regs neck to redice the venturi effect (freeflow). Wouldnt it be better to use a seperate tie wrap which can secure your neclace "higher" up the reg and thus allow it to hang in a way which reduces the chance of a freeflow.

On this thread i am trying to get some ideas on how to tie my bungee neclace to my backup reg. I have seen many ways of doing this:

Tuck bungee necklace under same tie wrap used to attach mouth piece. Or use a different tie wrap to attach the necklace higher up the regs neck (which would IMO reduce the venturi effect and thus better preventfreeflows).

Same as above but tie knots in the bungee, behind the tie wrap so that if someone pulls the reg it will stay attached to reg.

Or you can use silicone tubing to do the same as above although i personally found that the tubing comes away from the tie wrap to easily and you are left with a reg that is no longer around your neck and must be secured before the dive is continued.

On the other hand, if you are using a necklace with knots tied behind the tie wrap, and someone pulls hard enough then you are left with a reg which no longer has a mouthpiece attached. In addition this mouthpiece may well be lost and then you either end the dive or repair it underwater (assuming you carry a spare mouthpice and tie wrap on every dive!).

I thought that the best way to secure the reg is to use bungee cord. Tie 2 slip knots so that you can tighten the cord around the mouthpiece. Using this, the reg will come free if pulled and can be put back afterwards. This way you wont loose your mouthpiece and you dont have to worry about re-attaching your necklace with a tie wrap. I only thought of doing this earlier on today so i havnt actually got round to it yet.

What method do you use? Do you see any problems with either method described above, or perhaps you think the way that i outlined lastly, may cause problems. Opinions opinions and more opinions please, flame at will. Im looking forward to what you guys have to say. Cheers

The quote is perfectly clear, you are not reading it right. Just take a piece of light polespear tubing(surgical rubber), fold it into a "U" shape and attach the two ends to opposing ends of the mouthpiece with a stout cable tie. I can't imagine how this could pull off. Make it snug but don't choke yourself.

I understand that Devjr, the point is that it "can" (and often does) come loose if pulled hard enough. This could lead to the loss of the mouthpiece. If this is not the case then if the cord comes loose then how are you going to re-attach it? Do you carry spare parts on everydive?

Try putting 1 end on top of the mouthpiece and one end under it,use 3 zips,one for the mouthpiece and 1 to zip the end to the necklace .Mine last at least 50 to 100 dives this way.P.S.throw away the scubapro reusable clamp if you have one,they gave me fits

Frog,

I guess I have been doing it "wrong"/differently for years. I just have a piece of surgical tubing where the ends overlap creating a small loop (using two zip ties)to slip over the mouth piece tightly. The necklace comes off the mouth piece if you pull on it hard enough. I've never touched the zip tie on the mouth piece itself.

Mike

Here's my .02-

I use 3 wire ties. 2 of them are used to make 2 loops on the ends of the bungee. The 3rd slips inside of these loops and then around the mouthpiece where the wire tie is for that.

You can remove the bungee without touching the mouthpieces wire tie.

I don't use surgical tubing because it pulls on the hairs of my neck!

Why would you be jerking on your safe second in the first place, the long hose is the one you give away, or the one that is going to be jerked on. Not your necklace.

ID

Yeah LD, that's how I do it except with surgical tubing and two zip ties. That picture is probably a better way of doing it than my way. I can't even find any bungie like that around here.

Iguana Don is right that you shouldn't have to be jerking on the back up. I've never had to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom