bacon and breakfast sausage patties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not always just a desire for comfort foods. I like experiencing a foreign culture and I want to try out new flavors but I have some food allergies and sensitivities - so that makes me cautious about trying new things - and the food labels are often written in the native language so that doesn't help much. If you see an American woman in the grocery store earnestly studying the labels, using her phone for web translations, and talking to herself - that could be me!

Sometimes it is just simpler to go for familiar products, with the labels in English, if they are available. For that reason we also bring some foods from home and stay at an apartment or condo with a kitchen where we can prepare some of our meals. It also helps with the expense.

A lot of the labels are indeed written in Dutch. Lots of it is decipherable, some is not. All of the staff speak solid English and you'll both find what you need and have a bit of cultural fun.

Pro tip: Take a quarter with you. Stick it in the slot on the handle of a grocery cart to release it for use. When you return the cart, you get your quarter back! Nancy remembered to bring a quarter. I, needless to say, wouldn't've ever.

Pro tip: Take a quarter with you. Stick it in the slot on the handle of a grocery cart to release it for use. When you return the cart, you get your quarter back! Nancy remembered to bring a quarter. I, needless to say, wouldn't've ever.

For us Americans, it's something we have to remember to do. Europeans are accustomed to having to do this at their supermarkets.

For us Americans, it's something we have to remember to do. Europeans are accustomed to having to do this at their supermarkets.

This is also common for some of the large chains in Calgary, however I still usually forget to bring a quarter.
Oh yes, and when going to Van den Tweel do not forget to BYOB! (Bring your own bags).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom