Bad accident on Independence II today (20 Aug 2022)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope the diver recovers! Be very interested in any lessons learned.

Best wishes to the diver involved. Hopefully the details come out and we can all learn a few things.

Thanks. I just don't know much about RBs. They scare me enough to avoid them.
Rebreathers just expand the envelope of dives that can be done with little or no decompression obligation and may reduce the required decompression time.

But just like with OC, Air or Nitrox, and Mixed Gasses, there are still limits. If you hit the limits and don't execute the required decompression procedure, follow safe ascent rates, allow yourself to get cold or dehydrated, etc, then you can get Bent just like everyone else.

It seems that the diver passed away despite rescue efforts. Waiting on more information, still no news reports.

Rebreather diver got BADLY bent.
It seems that the diver passed away despite rescue efforts.

That implies omitted decompression rather than an unexpected hit after completing normal decompression. No guarantee of course but the probability is higher that something happened to interrupt planned decompression.

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Thanks everyone I went wreck diving out of Manasquan many moons ago with Captain David Haines RIP on The Seagull. Once off the boat ever man for himself.Being a shore diver from New England I was wondering why everyone followed the anchor line back to the boat. I learned quicky and only made the boat because of no surface current. Otherwise I' would have been floating alone 20 miles off Manasquan

Published: Mar. 20, 2012, 11:15 a.m.MANASQUAN — In the wake of Sunday's dive accident that left a 63-year-old man dead, the U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the incident in connection with two others, one of them fatal, involving the dive boat Gypsy Blood within the past four years.

Bart Malone, senior curator for the Museum of Maritime History in Beach Haven and an experienced diver, said the dive boat would not necessarily be at fault.

"Everybody thinks it’s (the fault of) the dive boat,’’ Malone said. "It’s basically a water taxi and they take you where the dive is. Once you get off the boat, they’re not responsible for you."

Thanks everyone I went wreck diving out of Manasquan many moons ago with Captain David Haines RIP on The Seagull. Once off the boat ever man for himself.Being a shore diver from New England I was wondering why everyone followed the anchor line back to the boat. I learned quicky and only made the boat because of no surface current. Otherwise I' would have been floating alone 20 miles off Manasquan

Published: Mar. 20, 2012, 11:15 a.m.MANASQUAN — In the wake of Sunday's dive accident that left a 63-year-old man dead, the U.S. Coast Guard is investigating the incident in connection with two others, one of them fatal, involving the dive boat Gypsy Blood within the past four years.

Bart Malone, senior curator for the Museum of Maritime History in Beach Haven and an experienced diver, said the dive boat would not necessarily be at fault.

"Everybody thinks it’s (the fault of) the dive boat,’’ Malone said. "It’s basically a water taxi and they take you where the dive is. Once you get off the boat, they’re not responsible for you."
Yup.

Old Bart said that.

The Coast Guard doesn’t necessarily buy it, but if it makes you feel better…

The news articles says he was found on the bottom without a reg in his mouth, which would be a drowning and not the bends or an embolism.

Back
Top Bottom