Bad Car rental experience Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I never take insurance coverage as Texas liability insurance covers rental cars fully, not that I have ever used it for that.
Not true, unfortunately. Your liability insurance covers what damage you may do to other cars or people, but it doesn't cover any damage you may do to the rent car. You need to carry collision/comprehensive insurance for it to cover the rent car.

I rent cars whenever I need to travel more than 50 miles or so (my car has over 200k miles on it), and I don't take their insurance when I can avoid it (sometimes they insist), but I know that the risk is on me.

I rent cars whenever I need to travel more than 50 miles or so (my car has over 200k miles on it), and I don't take their insurance when I can avoid it (sometimes they insist), but I know that the risk is on me.
Yeah, I used to drive an Ford pickup that I'd leave at the rental car station anytime I was driving further than AAA would tow me back for free - 200 miles. It was requiring more and more repairs tho, so I gave up when it died at 335k. I was tempted to have the engine overhauled as I really liked that pickup, often miss it, but I knew it'd be one more thing after another. I can haul a lot today in my Impala when I lower the back seats, and I love that it gets twice the gas mileage.

I still consider renting for longer trips as it'd be cheaper than the total cost of driving my own (gas, wear & tear, devaluation, etc.) according to some, but as long as I keep my annual mileage these days close to 10k, I figure the devaluation is going to happen anyway. I have kept the collision coverage too long as it's now a 10 year old car (2007 bought in 2011), and the blue book value has dropped so much that a bad wreck means that the insurance company will just total it and give 2 or 3 thousand after deductible. :( I am really trying to avoid that with or without collision insurance as I like this red beast, and I'd hate to have to go car shopping again - if I survived the wreck.

Not true, unfortunately. Your liability insurance covers what damage you may do to other cars or people, but it doesn't cover any damage you may do to the rent car. You need to carry collision/comprehensive insurance for it to cover the rent car.
Like all insurance, it's challenging to understand all the aspects so it's good to confirm important ones with your company. I just called mine and they confirmed it: my auto liability covers the rental car I drive. Ask yours. I think they're trained to avoid the question and get the customer to buy the expensive CDW, but if you get someone who really knows and will answer - yours should be covered. Auto liability coverage in Texas covers the driver, whatever vehicle he drives, and his/her liability for the vehicle being driven.

Several years ago I was driving my brothers one-ton dualie at a high speed when I hit some ruts, and started skidding. Those things are bad about that and I instantly felt dumb, tried to drive out of it, finally decided to let it slide (fast panicked thinking), then it started a slow rollover. They're bad about that too I learned, and again I felt dumb - additionally for not wearing seat belts for this roll. Minor injuries incurred, but my auto liability paid for the borrowed truck I was driving.

It's also good to confirm that your credit card will cover the rental car for free if you decline CDW. Mine will if I decline it even in Mexico where my Texas auto liability won't cover me, but I don't want to deal with all that would require. I get the insurance there.

+1 for margarita at Isis (unfortunate company name but great service)
She was Isis before ISIL used the name.

Isis was the first daughter of Geb, god of the Earth, and Nut, goddess of the Sky, and she was born on the fourth intercalary day.
200px-Isis.svg.png

Back
Top Bottom