bad day on charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post the wife's pics. :D

I am happy to share my pony with anyone; I tell others on the boat that mine is always on and ready so if a need arises, just grab it without asking - I'll understand. We'll evaluate, ascend together, but it stays with me. That is my plan and my few actions in such cases; I have screwed up enough to need it myself a time or two, screwed up because of it, screwed up because I didn't have it, etc. Still working to become a safer diver.

I tell my buddies (or a new friend) the same thing. Just grab a reg. Don't signal me, or anything like that. I'll know if someone needs air as one of my four second stages is being used by an OOG diver. Then we go into surface mode. I try to calm him down, grab his BC and vent him, look straight into their eyes (so I can get a good read on the status of the diver), reassuring them that everything is OK. This 'sometimes' cools them out. Hence I say sometimes....If I can calm him down, we save gas for our surface. I've rarely seen OOG divers give me the 'out of air' signal when they are truely empty. Typically, they grab my primary. That's why my octo is on a necklace so I can grab it in a second. My slung 30 pony is only two seconds away.

I don't know about the pony being given to a panicky diver but the guy sounds like my ex-husband diving. He would intentionally use up his air and grab mine to extend his dives, than use mine up in minutes.
Terrifying to think about having him as my "buddy" for my first 100 dives!

I don't know about the pony being given to a panicky diver but the guy sounds like my ex-husband diving. He would intentionally use up his air and grab mine to extend his dives, than use mine up in minutes.
Some need a starter buddy/husband to learn from. :D

Lol! Yes, I had to teach myself to be a rescue diver. The marriage was another very long, ugly story.
He learned this neat "trick" of grabbing my Octo from a Cuban "DM" in Cozumel who did it with him on every dive while we were there. After that, he thought it was a great way to extend his bottom time, just use wife's air, she doesn't ever use any, anyway.
Now my new hubby is an instructor and if I dive a 60, he dives an 80 and we are perfectly matched PSI and time-wise. Life is much less stressful with a real buddy too!

the guy sounds like my ex-husband diving. He would intentionally use up his air and grab mine to extend his dives, than use mine up in minutes.

Maybe he really wasn't out of air.

Just say'en

Oh he was out. He could go through an 80 in 20 minutes at 50 feet, maybe less.
Overweight, out of shape, severe hypertension and had his cert classes in the 1970s with no refresher courses and 20 years without diving.
Scary that there are others just like him out there.
I was kind of hoping he'd have a card event underwater, he was a pretty creepy husband.

Back
Top Bottom