bad day on charter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have mentioned we don`t solo dive . 4 divers . 2 cans . 2 divers 1 can . those cans are rarely used ..I carry my pony . I`ll share air to the entrance . you have a full alm 80 to get your stupid butt home ( not referring to you, the random you who shows up with the right cert on the right day.)
that pony is for me . and only me, and the me I hope to be, selfish yes .. my wifes wifes hot as **** . my kid makes me smile .. decent job ...cool friends . it is about me ... I`ll have a grand in my can for you to get you to the door ..and everyone makes it home alive
Post the wife's pics. :D

I am happy to share my pony with anyone; I tell others on the boat that mine is always on and ready so if a need arises, just grab it without asking - I'll understand. We'll evaluate, ascend together, but it stays with me. That is my plan and my few actions in such cases; I have screwed up enough to need it myself a time or two, screwed up because of it, screwed up because I didn't have it, etc. Still working to become a safer diver.

Seems as if there is a current trend on this board to accuse one another if being a troll. Idoc just got accused of the same thing less then a week ago and now is first to call this op a troll. Where's the trust? I had to use google to find out what a troll was because I've seen so many accusations lately.

Where's the trust? There's still absolutely no evidence that the other diver was breathing at >13cf/min/ata. Shoot, his graph only shows that with TWO divers, the rate spiked at just over 3cf/min/ata (and quickly dropped from there).

First things first this wreck has no structure left so no penatration. AS for the 800 pounds he had i did not see his gauge so i have to go by what he told me. Third that graph is SAC so now figure it for a 65 foort depth. That mean over 3.5 scfm= 10.5 cfm @65 feet. This diver was skinny and did not smoke. I am not looking for "good job" just trying make people aware that it could happen to you. My thoughts on a pony in this case would have been to get him to 15 feet, inflate his bc, get him to surface and use pony to do my stop? The problem with handing off a pony bottle is that unless it was a 30 or 40cf it would not have been enough for him to get to surface and do a stop. So what is the bbest answer? IDK

Jason

Respectfully but....wtf
If you are in an overhead without redundant gas please stop, Darwin is looking for you. If you have not read "The last Dive" please do. Diving with bottles staged somewhere not clipped off to your person in open water is inviting Darwin to your house for a beer. Get the proper training and be safe. Diving is supposed to be fun.
Eric

Hey Everyone .. My name is mark . . I am a PADI Assistant Instructor with 500+ incident free dives ( thank you lord )
Brother .. Sorry to hear your day went south. the great news is no-one got hurt . I am great with my air but I also dive with a hp (100) on all my dives I start my ascent with 1000 for the same reason . that air is for you if you run out . A pony or bailout bottle is the ideal thing ... most divers will panic when that type of incident happens .. hyperventilating all the way through your air and then at 30 feet no air .... one thing I am curious about .. when you were instructed in wreck diving .did anyone mention hanging a bottle outside the entrance for just those type of emergencies ? One of my Instructors was Adamant about that .on all wreck dives we would have air to get back to earth if your not wearing at least a hp100 your not going in !!! sling pony`s are the way to go .. . wrecks can be dangerous we know this, but they are very cool and can be as safe as a bath tub if your prepared .
Play Safe and have a great day .

AS for the 800 pounds he had i did not see his gauge so i have to go by what he told me.

How did he signal? Could he have had 300psi instead? That would be a ~2 cfm SAC, which is reasonable and in line with what he seems to be pulling after you rescued him onto your bottle.

Well, he killed an 80 foot tank in 15 minutes... That's where the problem started. Clearly diving well beyond his abilities.

A pony can be donated over from any rig, backplate or otherwise.

-Charles
Using that much air so quickly in only 65 fsw clearly says the diver was not prepared for the dive and should never have made the dive!!!

Seems as if there is a current trend on this board to accuse one another if being a troll. Idoc just got accused of the same thing less then a week ago and now is first to call this op a troll. Where's the trust? I had to use google to find out what a troll was because I've seen so many accusations lately.

Its a trend on most if not all internet boards.

Why?

Because there are lots of trolls on internet discussion boards and people don't like being played for a fool.

When someone posts a story that is almost beyond belief, it's natural to draw that conclusion. As I write this and acknowledge my error regarding the member who started this thread I still cannot comprehend how it's possible to blow through 800 psi in 30 seconds at 65 feet from an AL80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom